Gas v Oil Central Heating

Berlin

Hi,

My husband and I are building a bungalow in Co. Leitrim. I'm trying to compare the running costs of LPG v oil central heating systems, but can't get straight answers from gas or oil companies/suppliers, who each promise that their particular system will make tea for you. Can anyone help?

best thing to do is get an estimated average cost from friends / family with similar size properties to see what their average monthly bills work out at.
I know that I would go for gas - you don't have to go through the hassle of getting oil, bleeding tanks, waiting for radiators to heat up etc. Gas is so clean and easy and heats up the house in minutes!

You have to buy the tank . The LPG tank as well. If you rent one you are hooked ." Give away the lamps for free and then sell the oil ( or LPG ) " goes the saying.
What Dunners is refering to is direct burning I supose ( " no radiators "), that is not a central heating system . That would be an open fire in every room . What is very money wasting because of the need to replace the used oxigen by fresh (cold ) air . The result is a drafty room / house . And condensation/ mould around the cold spots where the fresh air enters the room .
Go for a central heating system . In combination with a top of the range boiler -a modulating combi condensing boiler.
Check the other posts here on AAM ( homes and gardens) .

There is a web site www.sei.com, from Sustaineable Ireland that compares the running costs.
From memory LPG is not that great a bargain. If you can connect to the grid directly it seems to be a lot cheaper, not an option in Leitrim.

Back