Gas pressure has dropped a lot - any advice?

onekeano

Wife complaining that gas pressure has dropped considerably in recent weeks. For example steaks are a stewing rather than sizzling and now its my job to get it sorted apparently.

We're in Dublin using natural gas and the cooker is only a few years old. Any idea what could be causing this and more importantly how do I get it fixed?

Any advise would be appreciated

Roy

Hello

Are you sure it is the pressure?

A similar thing happened to our own cooker. Not the oven part - but the jets for boiling kettles etc. The 'pressure' on all four jets had slowly reduced over a period of time.

In the end it turned out to be simply dirt/dust accumulating in the underlying supply jet!

Might be no harm to rule that out before incurring expense.

Check with neighbours to see if gas pressure in the area is low. If that is the case it is up to Bord Gais to fix. If the fault is in the cooker then get a registered gas service man to check it out.

Hi Dave, I'm not certain it's the pressure to bee honest, just that's what the management reported. Your description could well be very similar so I'll try check that out first - thanks for the tip.

Roy

No joy - took off little heavy plates that sit on top of jets but it seems to be perfectly clean from what I can see. Just wondering if I need to get a guy to take the top off off the cooker to check under that?

Any other suggestions - pressure building up with management here?

Roy :)

Get a gas engineer to measure the gas pressure at the meter and cooker then you will know if it is the appliance or the mains that is the problem.

Very unlikely to be the incoming pressure, however you can ring Bord Gais and ask them to check regulator at meter, after all they own it.

Could be partically blocked supply pipe to oven or a kinked hose at back.

Back