Gas outlet into covered side entrance

DeeDee100

Hi,
To maximise storage space I had my side entrance covered over with perspex. Both ends are sealed off with doors. The space isn't airtight, but it is now waterproof. The problem I've now encountered is with the outlet for the gas. This runs from the boiler in the utility room to the outside of the house - which is now inside this covered side entrance. We thought we could simply connect a pipe to the outlet up through the perspex, but when looking at the piping it costs approx €300!! Alot for a piece of piping only about a foot long! Apparently the piping must be a particular type as it's connected to gas.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? And is there any other way around it?
Thanks,
Dee

Stainless steel exhaust piping I think and it gets hot, so you may not be able to take it through perspex.

I suggest you need a properly certified gas installer to have a look and make recommendations (and do the work).

Hi,
To maximise storage space I had my side entrance covered over with perspex. Both ends are sealed off with doors. The space isn't airtight, but it is now waterproof. The problem I've now encountered is with the outlet for the gas. This runs from the boiler in the utility room to the outside of the house - which is now inside this covered side entrance. We thought we could simply connect a pipe to the outlet up through the perspex, but when looking at the piping it costs approx €300!! Alot for a piece of piping only about a foot long! Apparently the piping must be a particular type as it's connected to gas.
Has anyone else encountered this problem? And is there any other way around it?
Thanks,
Dee

Are you taking about the boiler flue which is about 5 inchs wide or a gas supply pipe?

I'm not too sure what a "flue" is.
The pipe comes out of the exterior wall about 3 inches, like a ventilation outlet. When I had the heating on in the winter you could smell gas in the side entrance so I kept the side entrance doors open for ventilation - I'm not too happy about being able to smell gas so want to be sure I do this correctly. But if there's a cheaper way of doing it correctly I'd like to know!!

A flue is a chimney. you have contravened a lot of gas safety legislation. Any gas installers that see's this should disconnect the boiler from the gas supply until the situation is rectified. What you are doing is filling an inclosed space with possible carbon monoxide.
Your best bet is to get the make and model for the boiler. Ring the boiler maker with these details and they will tell you if you can get a horizontal fue kit included elbow.(some boilers have a maximum flue lenght)

Don't worry about the persex as the flue is a tube within a tube, the inner tube pumps out hot noxious gases and the outer tube pulls in cold air from outside.

€300 for an extension sounds expensive, but I don't know off hand.

Hi DavyJones,
Thanks a lot for your advice. Sounds dangerous - I'll get this sorted straight away.

Thanks, Dee

Back