Gas or Immersion not heating water

fungie20

We are in a new build and decided to bleed the radiators for the first time as there was uneven heating. We bled them then re-pressurise the system and they were working great! We noticed the pressure was fluctuating a bit so bled and re-pressurised again.

However, now we can't seem to heat water. When I turn on the water heater via the climote, the boiler activates and I can see the temperature rise on it but we aren't getting any hot water. The two events could be completely unrelated but given the timing, seems unlikely. When I turned on the immersion for 90 minutes, there was still no hot water. We have never used the immersion but would expect it to heat it pretty quick. For reference, 30 mins of water heating via gas lasts for the whole day basically.

The boiler we have is a Glow Worm energy 25s and its pressure is at 1.5bar. The fact that the immersion or gas aren't heating water would make me think it isn't related to the boiler but rather no water being heated. I had a check for leaks and there was nothing obvious.

We are getting the boiler serviced on Monday, would the person doing the servicing be able to figure out the problem with the heating or would they solely just care about the boiler. Any tips or potential causes ideas would be great as would like to be able to shower over the next few days.

You got me stumped. Heating the cylinder by the boiler, or the immersion, are two completely separate things, with no common parts. So the fact that neither are working is strange.
When you say "the immersion" I presume you are talking about the electric element in the hot water cylinder?

The only common ground for not getting hot water from either method, is that there is no water in the cylinder itself. When you say you are not getting hot water, I assume you are getting cold water from the hot tap, as opposed to no water at all?

You got me stumped. Heating the cylinder by the boiler, or the immersion, are two completely separate things, with no common parts. So the fact that neither are working is strange.
When you say "the immersion" I presume you are talking about the electric element in the hot water cylinder?

The only common ground for not getting hot water from either method, is that there is no water in the cylinder itself. When you say you are not getting hot water, I assume you are getting cold water from the hot tap, as opposed to no water at all?

Yes, we are getting water from the hot tap at the same pressure as usual. It's cold but not as cold as the cold tap, if that makes sense!

OK, here's what I'd do. I don't know the setup of your boiler/heating etc. so keep that in mind.
1. The immersion. Forget that for the moment. You say you have never used it, so it is possible it has never worked. It is an electric element going into the hot water tank and has no connection with the boiler/heating system. On the off-chance, check the fuzebox to see if hte tripswitch/mcb for the immersion is on. It will have a separate one. Also, as RedOnion asked, is there a red light to show it is on/has power.

2. Hot water via the boiler. As you have said, you have a separate circuit going into the boiler (a coil of pipe off the radiator circuit ) that is controlled by a motorised valve. The fact that the boiler operates when you turn on this valve via your Climote suggests that the motorized head unit (that rotates the valve in the pipe) is working. Normally those motorised valves get a signal from the climote, or whatever unit you use, and when they reach the end of their turn, a microswitch turns on the boiler. So the fact that the boiler turns on suggests that it is working.
On saying that, I'd locate it and make sure it actually is. It could be located in a hot press near the immersion etc. I'd actually check the piping by touch to make sure that the pipe going into the tank is getting hot, i.e. there is a flow of hot water from the boiler to the valve, and a flow of water from valve to the tank coil.
Once you've done those checks, let us know what you find.

OK, here's what I'd do. I don't know the setup of your boiler/heating etc. so keep that in mind.
1. The immersion. Forget that for the moment. You say you have never used it, so it is possible it has never worked. It is an electric element going into the hot water tank and has no connection with the boiler/heating system. On the off-chance, check the fuzebox to see if hte tripswitch/mcb for the immersion is on. It will have a separate one. Also, as RedOnion asked, is there a red light to show it is on/has power.

2. Hot water via the boiler. As you have said, you have a separate circuit going into the boiler (a coil of pipe off the radiator circuit ) that is controlled by a motorised valve. The fact that the boiler operates when you turn on this valve via your Climote suggests that the motorized head unit (that rotates the valve in the pipe) is working. Normally those motorised valves get a signal from the climote, or whatever unit you use, and when they reach the end of their turn, a microswitch turns on the boiler. So the fact that the boiler turns on suggests that it is working.
On saying that, I'd locate it and make sure it actually is. It could be located in a hot press near the immersion etc. I'd actually check the piping by touch to make sure that the pipe going into the tank is getting hot, i.e. there is a flow of hot water from the boiler to the valve, and a flow of water from valve to the tank coil.
Once you've done those checks, let us know what you find.

Thanks for the info, I got it sorted. The motorised valves were working fine but the pipes going into tank were cold. I adjusted the balancing valve and it started to heat up and now we are back in business. Thanks a lot.

Great news. You'll be smelling sweet in no time.

And I'd do some more investigation on the electric immersion, see why it's not working.

Back