Gas Fire

browtal

We have had a Kingsdale Gas fire, with ceramic back for the past 10 years.
It had a fan assist, I think because the chimney was only 1/2 chinney and did not reach the full height of building. I dont understand the workings of Gas fires.
Would appreciate if any body can help. The outside part of the fan has ceased working and we have been advised to get a new one at a cost of €350 plus €150 labour.
Would it be wiser to consider getting a new system? and raising the chimney by flexible pipe, or is this worth replacing. It did give out very good heat.
I understand that Kingsdale have ceased trading.
Many thanks help appreciated Browtal

Is the fireplace on an outside wall?
If so, you could replace with a low level discharge fan assisted appliance
preferable a room sealed one for added safety

I don't know what you mean about a 1/2 height chimney, could be anything really.
And I think most installers would be reluctant to use one by the sounds of it unless
the new appliance specifically gave instructions for that particular flue type

As your appliance is 10 years old, I would assume it has most likely reached it's
useful working life anyway, so a new appliance would always be preferable

Many thanks for your reply.
Yes it is on an outside wall and the chinmey only goes up half way on the building, dont understant this, but that was the way it was built.
Aparently that is the reason we had to have fan assisted appliance.
I would very much like to have one without fan assist. The main reason is should we have a power cut at least we would have the gas fire.
If a solution would be putting some type of 'pipe' up to top of the building, I have no problem with that. It is not seen from the front of house.
I understand now that Kingsdale have gone off the market so a new one would be preferable, how to get round the fan problem. Many thanks Browtal.

would still b a fan required with the above suggestion, completing the flue route IMHO would be the way to go without a fan

Hi I appreciate your advice. What does IMHO mean, sorry it may seem obvious. I would be delighted to have the fire without fan being necessary. Do the fans always give trouble? I think the problem was due to rust, as the fan was unprotected from weather.
What are the most trouble free type of gas fire available. It is a very large room, but we use the gas heating as well most of the time.
Many thanks Browtal