Gas Fire - Inset versus Hotbox

MAJJ

Hi Folks,

I want a gas fire that will be both decorative and functional i.e. provides heat output. There is a radiator in the room but I would like to choice to be able to boost the room when desired.

I was under the impression that a hotbox was better for heat output than a insert. Due to the fact that it has better radiant qualities from the fireback - often ceramic.

Anyone got some experience/views on this they would like to share?
Recommendations on specific products would be useful - looking at
http://www.magiglo.co.uk/ at the moment.

Also, views on running costs of either option would be helpful.
The site above has a lot of info but I would love the real world view from the trusted AAM folk.

It will be of the 16" variety.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
MAJJ

Have you checked the SEI page? As far as remember my last visit to that page they said that there is no other heating as ineffective as the open fire.

I have the Inset a number of years now and find it very good. It is in a room that I use all the time which is great as I can use it and not switch on my gas heating. My neighbour got the hotbox at the same time as I got my gas fire and now regrets tha she didnt get the Inset as she thinks that there is more heat from the close unit. As well yu dont get the same drafts from the chimney with the Inset. I couldnt give you any idea as to running costs as I have natural gas central heating so I get the one bill.
Hope this is of some help.
Megan