Gas Fire Dilemma

larbar

Hi
I have a gas fire stove,Gazco Clarendon,enclosed coal effect thing.On many numerous occasions since installed(ten years)the pilot light has gone out and if I can re-light it by the manual controls fine, but if not the front door has to be taken off and the 'coals' area hoovered and away it goes again.The problem seems to be wind blowing the powder, small particles from the burnt imitation coals into the gas vents.

The first of my problems is that the two of spuds for receiving the nuts holding the door on come out from the stove slightly off centre with the result that I cannot always get the 1/2 ins spanner socket on because the side of rebate in the door is in the way,it that makes sense and as the nuts are tightened, the door is pulling 'off' and it is tricky to get all four nuts equally tightened.Today my worst fears came to pass,the nut went on crooked and I rimmed one of the screws.I am now buggered with that but the other three are tight,so although not perfect is not the end of the world.

However,the installation was beset with less than efficient and cowboy like issues and I have often wondered,aside from the bad winds recently, should the pilot light have been blowing out so often over the years and is it possible that the flue was installed at an incorrect angle.The damage being done now to the nut/spud thread,and the pilot light continuing to go out,I am seeing more and more occasions and grief where the door will have to be taken off to fix the light and maybe more thread issues and am thinking new stove/new installer.
Has anyone any recommendations for stoves.I am wondering should I go gas again,if so what make; or solid fuel.I'd definitely go for a smaller gas one if that was the wise choice.The present one was bought as a compromise between the waste of an open fire on one hand and the homely effect on the other but it is overkill for the room(21ft x 14ft with two double rads), and secondly although more efficient than the imitation coal in the fireplace/heat up the chimney version, it is pricey to run,but I see a lot of positive reviews on sold fuel.I would appreciate all thought and suggestions.Thank you

Have you had the gas fire serviced since it's installation & a full Annexe E test done on the installation by a "competent" RGI?
It sounds like you have an inherent issue from day one, which is most likely a flue or ventilation issue, but this can be easily confirmed with a flue flow test.

Regarding a replacement, Valor a very good appliances. I would consider the Valor Homeflame range which are 89% efficient. Have installed many of them & very good controllable heat, but the overall issue needs to be addressed first.

Thanks Shane.Yes,the fire has been serviced but no,there has been no Annexe E test done.To be honest,I never head of it but will look into it.Thank you again

If it has been serviced by somebody competent, then the minimum by law is an Annexe C test & this would have tested the flue & ventilation requirements of the appliance, so if it was done properly, the issue should have been identified.

Thanks again Shane.Obviously the person we got to service it and the boiler didn't do their job very well.In the early days of it happening(pilot blowing extinguishing) the heating guy fiddled around and would get it lighting and then I realised that apart from one occasion where he replaced a part in the pilot light area(?), that all he was doing was hoovering the area and sure when I did that it would get going again.I am also now wondering if in fact the replaced part was the issue because it was only a few years old and very rarely used.
With the spuds for receiving the retaining nuts for the door being part of the stove and one of them being rimmed now,and at least one of the others being slightly 'off' I am thinking just let it be gone but appreciate that the flue issue would have to be sorted before a new one could be installed.

Back