gas cylinders

PGD1

Does anybody know where I could exchange a gas cylinder from Germany for an Irish one, and determine if they can fit an adaptor to the Irish one to fit the regulator?

Preferably near Dublin.

Thanks.

It's unlikely to be possible to exchange the cylinder with any dealers - they wouldn't have any way of getting it back to Germany so it would be as worthless to them as it is to you.

I have an old German regulator I had to cut off a fitting before if you are interested (and if the cylinder has gas in it). PM me if you want it.

I learned the hard way about the differences in regulators when attempting to buy a gas bottle for my german campervan while on the way home through France. I bought a French (Elf I think) regulator and bottle and then couldn't fit them 'on the road' so I had no gas for the few days drive home through France.

I now have a relatively useless collection of regulators in the garage.

Just went through your post again - it sounds like you are in the same situation as I was. You now have an empty German cylinder and just want to attach an I Irish one - is that right ? In that case just cut the German one off the hose, buy an Irish regulator, stick it on the hose and bobs your uncle. Then dispose of the German cylinder safely unless you plan on going back to Germany any time soon.

z

Hi Zag,

I have a German gas cylinder with some gas in it, with a German regulator (x2). I want to get rid of the cylinder and buy an Irish cylinder and be able to hook it up to the German regulator.

Are you saying that the Irish regulator will fit the hose on the German one no problem? Or do I have to take the current "hose and regulator" off the gas pipes and fit a new hose and regulator. I'm worried that the hose/pipes are different specs. I heard that the hose would not fit the pipes perfectly and there would always be a smell of gas.

Is there a gas centre anywhere where I can go and talk/show/test this out?

I'm happy enough to work off Irish gas cylinders. I have space for 2 and can just ensure I have 2 full tanks before I go on a long trip.

my post wasn't very clear.

1) if I snip the hose... does it easily fit into the Irish regulator? I thought the regulator and hose were 1 unit?

2) if they are 1 unit, then the new regulator and hose need to fit the gas pipes. I heard that they wouldn't and they there would be a gas smell, even if the hose was tightened on.

Normally the gas fittings/plumbing in a campervan (for example) are made up of solid pipes secured to the inside of the vehicle distributing the gas to the applicances, but at each end there is a length of flexible hose which is what allows you to attach the cylinder or appliance with ease. In my (not huge) experience the hose is pretty standard stuff.

The regulators are definitely seperate and removable from the hose. I have done this a number of times. The best way is to soak the end of the hose in hot water for a few minutes (which will soften it easily) and then just push it onto the regulator.

Obviously with gas make sure that whatever you do on one end of the hose doesn't loosen the other end. This should be relatively easy because the other end of the hose should have a screw on attachment to fit to the distribution end.

To answer your questions (bearing in mind I haven't seen your specific fittings) :
1) yes, you can just snip, remove and then add the new one (using hot water as above to make it easier)
2) they are normally distinct units as above. A smell of gas is normally not good, but is to be expected when removing the regulator from the cylinder as the valve will be open for a tiny amount of time as you remove the regulator.

z

final question.... is there a refillable option I should go for or are all tanks in Ireland just exchange only?

I'm pretty sure you can't get refillable ones in Ireland (well they're all refillable, but not at point of sale) you just have to exchange them.

You may find a little bit of difficulty in getting your first Irish one because for some strange reason most garages will *only* exchange. They should of couse sell you the cylinder and a refill but it sometimes takes a bit of shopping around. I think the initial cost of the cylinder is something like €30 or €40 and from then on the exchange costs maybe €20. Can't remember the details, but overall they are not unduly expensive.

Make sure to use a crocodile clip over the hose end after you have attached the hose to the regulator. This just limits the chance of the hose slipping off over time.

z

Bought a red propane 11kg for €53 (including first time tank) and it fitted just fine. Didn't need to cut hoses or anything.