Gas Cooker v Electric Cooker

joel

Hi,
I am looking to buy a cooker for my new house, just wondering which is BEST(i.e.,Gas Hobs with Electric Oven or Gas Hobs with Gas Oven).

Appriciate your feedback.

Thanks
Joel

I have a gas hob for the past year and wouldn't go back to an electric one ever. It's much more responsive. Although I once set my jumper on fire in college (while I was wearing it) using a gas hob so I was a bit nervous.

Have an electric oven but don't use it much.

All the cookery programs on tv use gas hobs!

We have a gas hob and an electric oven. I find the gas hob brilliant especially for stir frys which we cook a lot. Gas is so much easier to control than an electric hob.

The electric oven is great too. We went for a double oven as it means you can cooks two different items at two different tempertures at the same time. It also means you can grill & use the other overn at the same time.

The added insurance of having them mixed is that in the event of an electricity blackout you can make a cuppa!

Kiddo said:
The added insurance of having them mixed is that in the event of an electricity blackout you can make a cuppa!
Unless you do like I did and buy a 'cool' (read: expensive) gas hob with all sorts of fancy functions - auto-relight, etc, etc - and then realise when you install it that it won't work without electricity... :(

Have heard that gas is better to cook with as there is an even heat applied to the underneath of the pan, and as someone who was also nervous of gas, I have to say I've been completely converted. But my cooker is gas hobs and electric ovens- it is very handy to have both options.

I also would agree that a gas hob and electric oven combo is the best. Had an all electice oven in my previous house when not on main gas and you definately have more control over the temperature with gas. With Elect. even when you turn the heat down the ring is still hot for ages. I do find it easier to cook on ( no gourmet cooking though!)

Thanks for all suggesstions. I will go with Gas hops and Electric Oven (double).

Could you pl. suggesst me a good one?

Thanks
Joel

At the moment I am facing the same dilemma with which hob to choose. I agree that the gas is probably better but they are not very attractive compared to the ceramic electri hobs.

Can you recommend a gas hob which doesn't look like a bunch of metal on the hob!!!

Thanks

I lihe that Cahir! I definitely want to get one of those 5 ring gas hobs. However in the house Im buying (new house) the section cut out of the worktop for the hob is just the average size. If I go for one of the 5 rings do I just cut the whole bigger?!?! (wouldnt try it myself but would get a carpenter to do it...)

I like that Cahir! I definitely want to get one of those 5 ring gas hobs. However in the house Im buying (new house) the section cut out of the worktop for the hob is just the average size. If I go for one of the 5 rings do I just cut the whole bigger?!?! (wouldnt try it myself but would get a carpenter to do it...)

My hob, although it's 5 ring fit into the hole for the 4 ring hob that was cut out in my house. Maybe they all do but I'm not sure - the salespeople in the shops should know.

I got it in DID in Blanch for about €250 ish.

See results of search on which may help.

My preference for double oven is self-cleaning [broken link removed]

How easy is it to get a gas hob installed in a house that doesn't already have gas? I'd say other people on the road (long established neighbourhood, Dublin) probably have gas.

Has anyone got one of those new-fangled gas hobs with a built-in griddle yoke? Any good?

balalaika said:
How easy is it to get a gas hob installed in a house that doesn't already have gas? I'd say other people on the road (long established neighbourhood, Dublin) probably have gas.

If your street has gas then I think it costs about 300 to have it run to your house. Unlike electric, you also have to pay a certified gas engineer to fit a gas appliance which will be another couple of hundred. Call Bord Gais to arrange connection.

I thought the original question was an interesting one. Given that the consensus is for gas hobs (or hops :)) like in all pro kitchens, are there any culinary considerations in choosing between gas or electric ovens?

I thought the original question was an interesting one. Given that the consensus is for gas hobs (or hops :)) like in all pro kitchens, are there any culinary considerations in choosing between gas or electric ovens?

I suppose it has to be the whole control thing that makes it easier to get dishes just right, I hate using the electric hob to cook, I often find I need to use three rings on the hob, one for Very hot, one for simmering etc, ond one just for keeping warm, when with gas it is so much easier to regulate the amount of heat you apply and the reaction is instantaneous

If your street has gas then I think it costs about 300 to have it run to your house. Unlike electric, you also have to pay a certified gas engineer to fit a gas appliance which will be another couple of hundred. Call Bord Gais to arrange connection.
Thanks Erith,

cushtie said:
I suppose it has to be the whole control thing that makes it easier to get dishes just right, I hate using the electric hob to cook, I often find I need to use three rings on the hob, one for Very hot, one for simmering etc, ond one just for keeping warm, when with gas it is so much easier to regulate the amount of heat you apply and the reaction is instantaneous

Thanks Cushtie, but I was trying to direct the discussion back to the merits of gas versus electric ovens since everyone is aware of the advantages of gas hobs.

Any thoughts anyone? What _ovens_ do the professional kitchens use?

Back