Gas boiler makes noise after being turned off - why ??

gianni

First off I'm a total gas boiler newbie.

I've had a life time of solid heating & ofc so I have no clue as to how a gas boiler works. Recently moved to a new house with gfc. I turned on the heating once before to check if all the rads would heat (which they did) and haven't used it since.

Last night, however, I turned it on about an hour before going to bed. Left it on for about 30 mins before switching it off. Went to bed, read a book etc.. after a while I realised that I could still hear a very audible sound from the hot water tank which I took to be the water in the tank heating. Which is what one would expect. However this sound didn't stop at all for the duration of the night!! I presumed that it would stop eventually but it never did - I woke at 6am to it still making noise. I went back downstairs to check the boiler (again) and it was indeed off but this time I found a 'reset' switch on it that I had never seen before. Pressed it once and then silence! Whatever it had been doing had stopped. Hallelujah!

So my question is, what was it doing that it could make such noise all night without the boiler being turned on ?? :confused:

I've no instructions on how the system works since it's a 2nd hand house. I've been googling the make/model but no luck so far...

All thoughts / suggestions more than welcome! :)

Sounds like the circulating pump was running, it probably should have stopped when the water cooled in the boiler, there may be a fault in the thermostat.
If the sound is quote loud then there is probably some air in the system as well.
Time to get it serviced?

Back