Garmin nuvi 765T and 775T Fault.

Marion

I received this e-mail from mysatnav.ie today.

Marion

my 765t whilst driving on wednesday around 1800hrs came up with a screen showing "gps update complete" i touched the "ok" underneath this text to find that the garmin unit powered down. i thought this was a simple case of reboot new software but i couldnt get the thing to power up.
phoned tesco electrical helpline where i bought it and they tried to sort problem like reset and check charging cable.

the factory reset which wipes out all added software and vehicles etc so is not recommended goes as follows hold power button to left for 10 secs, then place in middle position then put to lock position and touch screen for 30 secs-- this is what i was getting told on the phone anyway but cant confirm as my unit was dead.---no joy with tesco.

anyway transfered to garmin tech and they went over the same things and said it sounds like a software fault ( looking back i think he knew what was up but didnt want to let the cat out the bag that a common fault had appeared) he told me to take it to tesco for replacement or send back to factory for warranty repair.

i managed back to tesco to ask for replacement and they were not keen as the value of goods was moderately high , they had me waiting in shop for 40 mins while they were on hold to garmin ( phone lines that busy probably due to a few more 7x5 models breaking down all over the world). a shift supervisor seen sense and told the lady just to replace it for me or offer refund or a different machine.

i opted for a replacement 765t but now wish i hadnt done so as i get home from tesco to find an email from garmin providing a mandatory update for the said fault i had experienced.

what im now worried about is the screen appeared on my garmin not giving me the choice to update- it just done it anyway with a duff program that killed the machine.

garmin state that they will repair the machines under warranty but what if your warranty runs out and the update another dodgy program in the future. will you be covered?

im also left wondering how the update managed to get to the unit, pardon my lack of technical knowledge but can they send complex data through the gps signal or is it updated through the traffic recievers fm reciever. or maybey a time stamp activated program that has installed??? hmmm

im getting tired now having been installing all the vehicles and poi files , firmwares etc on my new unit.

just the up to date maps to install tomorrow -- not good for someone with a limited internet speed/limit as im between moving houses and use a 15gbp for 3gb pay as you go dongle.

thats me done for the night
thanks for reading and as above post mentions get the up to date software ASAP to avoid all this grief