Gardening/Landscaping Labour costs

gd2000

I recently got a quote from a friend (who does gardening/landscaping) for my garden. While I can appreciate and cost the goods, I have no idea what the going rate for labour costs are!

Does anyone have any advice/input about the labour costs (per day)? It's very tough to get a like for like comparison from other quotes, as the designs suggested are very different!

Thanks...

Hi gd2000, I recently got these quotes from my gardener/ landscaper!

50 euro an hour for design work.
30 euro an hour gardening.

Hope this is of help, Priscilla.

I have used a Irish Hort trained young man with a Polish helper, €450 aday for the pair,and they worked very hard. 8.30-5

The ALCI rate is 250 per day. I don't think people realise all the costs involved in hiring labourers -
With one horticulturally trained foreman at minimum 250, and a labourer on at least minimum wage ( the employer also has to cost in employers PRSI, 20 days holidays, bank holidays, sick days, insurance, other overheads) the estimate of 450 is quite good.

Cheers guys!

That's very similar to the rate that I've been quoted. I've absolutely no objection to paying - there's no way I could do the work myself and remain sane!

From the sounds of things my friend is being very fair to me with his quote.

If his work is as good as his quote, I might post up his details with a recommendation!

Has anyone got a plan done up by a landscaper?
We have a large site and I was hoping to get some to do a plan for us, but no idea of costs or what I should be looking to ask or get

Has anyone got a plan done up by a landscaper?
We have a large site and I was hoping to get some to do a plan for us, but no idea of costs or what I should be looking to ask or get

Hi Yop,

I just got an artictect (who does landscaping designs) to do a plan for me Site is just over an acre & cost 360.00 euro & included 3 copies of the palns. She seemd very thorough & even suggest where to get the plants/scubbery as cheap as possible. Where is your site?

I avoided getting a artictect to do mine and instead got a qualified landscaper to do both the design and the actual work and im very happy with the work done. I felt at the time that the artictect may not have had actual experience of building gardens and that it was better to get somebody who built gardens everyday and would inho have a better grasp of what would look well in the garden.

Hi Headcase

What qualifications does a landscape architect have? Are they members of RIAI?

You seem to have a really been quoted a really good price. I presume that you were acquainted with the person? My next door neighbour got a plan for his garden in the past year and it cost €800 for a typical town garden and the person was not an architect but a landscape designer - is there a difference?

Marion

Hi Headcase

What qualifications does a landscape architect have? Are they members of RIAI?

You seem to have a really been quoted a really good price. I presume that you were acquainted with the person? My next door neighbour got a plan for his garden in the past year and it cost €800 for a typical town garden and the person was not an architect but a landscape designer - is there a difference?

Marion

She actually had an MLA ([SIZE=-1]Master of Landscape Architecture)[/SIZE]and was recommended by the architect we choose to sort out our planning.

Headcase,
as a matter of interest was the plan she drew up for a planning application?Did it go into much detail? How long did she spend with you on your ideas and working out a concept?There are different levels of plans out there, depends on what the client needs it for. I can understand a town garden at 800 if it included full planting plan, construction details and well thought out concept.
Puffin

Marion,

difference between a landscape designer and Landscape Architect?

AFAIK the course in UCD has changed from Landscape Hort to L. Architecture. I qualified as the former but my studies and projects were primarily design of landscapes in the built environment...which led to course becoming L Arch. I personally would refer to myself as L designer as the main elements I like to consider in design of outdoor space is the planting. I think it is up to each individual and depends on where they have gained their professional experience. I don't think one should charge more than the other though..all depends on the amount of detail you require in plans. Check out Bloom in the Park, will be plenty of designers, architects etc there.

Headcase,
as a matter of interest was the plan she drew up for a planning application?Did it go into much detail? How long did she spend with you on your ideas and working out a concept?There are different levels of plans out there, depends on what the client needs it for. I can understand a town garden at 800 if it included full planting plan, construction details and well thought out concept.
Puffin

Yes (one of the conditions for the planning). It included full planting list & no of plants needed & thought out concept(s) (which were mainly to be in line with exisitng rural area / based on native planting / privacy / minimal maintainence (if there is such a thing!) & a design to definite areas within the site i.e. decking area / herb garden / hedge rows etc).

The ALCI rate is 250 per day. I don't think people realise all the costs involved in hiring labourers -
With one horticulturally trained foreman at minimum 250, and a labourer on at least minimum wage ( the employer also has to cost in employers PRSI, 20 days holidays, bank holidays, sick days, insurance, other overheads) the estimate of 450 is quite good.

well voiced! two main bodies - GLDA and the ALCI [one is architect and one is contractors] however a designer is/ maybe slightly different - ie. visit www.bloominthepark.com/designers.asp

Hi I have taken a look at the Bloom site, lots of links to award winning designers.
What I need is a design for a garden 30 foot X 60 foot with decking/patio area. We will do the work, but I woudl like a detailed design done.
Have you any recommendations?

Hi - if you don't need a design, (i.e. have one already) and just need reliable labourers to dig into a slope and lay out some sleepers - can you come up with any names and contacts for this type of thing?

I don't have the time to get my garden in shape for the summer if done only by myself in the evenings after work and weekends. So if I could get in some hired muscle that I could trust, that would be great!

Can you clarify what and where did you see an 'ALCI day rate' for € 250.00?

well voiced! two main bodies - GLDA and the ALCI [one is architect and one is contractors] however a designer is/ maybe slightly different - ie. visit www.bloominthepark.com/designers.asp

To clarify GLDA is primarily Designers but some members also provide construction services. ALCI is primarily contractors ie provide construction services, however there are some members of ALCI which also provide a design service.

It is therefore possible to find a design+build service from certain members of either association.

Bloom in the park is an exhibition feauring amongst other things Show gardens designed and built by a range of people including professional landscape designers, landscape contractors, amateurs/DIY landscapers and even school children etc etc.

Back