garden theft

oirish

hi folks

been away for a while [not that kind of away?!!?!] I was wondering if there are any threads on garden theft or any advice on where to find info on statistics [etc] of garden theft in ireland. your stories etc would be most appreciated!

enjoy your day
peter

Was something stolen while you were away? Or is this Shooting the Breeze/Letting Off Steam material?

Was something stolen while you were away? Or is this Shooting the Breeze/Letting Off Steam material?

uk reports say 18,000 garden thefts are 'reported' each year; show 1 in 7 gardens are stolen from every summer - but irish figures dont show any difference between 'theft' and 'garden theft'. Therfore we have no idea [please note: statistically generated] on garden crime prevention. Based on the UK figures one, in theory, has more chance of their new tree, lawnmower, hanging basket, tools, plants etc being robbed or stolen than a plant has of surviving this winter coming.

I was more hoping the general info may help me to become more informed on any level.

all thoughts welcome
oirish

Does washing from a clothes line count ??
I had my washing & solar garden lights stolen one bank holiday weekend.
The guards nearly laughed down the phone at me when I reported it........

at least thats a start to this thread - sorry about the clothes and lights red - I personally just find it all [when it happens to me] a bit impolite. I had a nipper take some flowers and fruit from my garden whilst the parents waited outside - but the parents just laughed - in my day [30 years old only] my folks wouldve made me apologise at least! [and a clip 'round the ears - more probable]

cheers
oirish

I know it's mad.

People just seem to help themselves to what they want, when they want - no conscience at all.

In the last house I lived in there were wooden slats to divide the gardens.
Every time our neighbours kid threw a ball over the wall, the father would live the slats & let the child run into our garden & retrieve said ball.

I wouldn't mind but I always threw the ball back......

18000 reported thefts and 1 in 7 gardens stolen from, using similar extrapolation there's up to 400,000 burglaries a year in the UK for simplicity lets say there's as many houses as gardens that would be 22 in 7 houses stolen from, even dividing by say 8 for apartments that would be almost 3 in 7.

OK a burglary is more likely to be reported - but still going from 18000 reported to 1 in 7 actual thefts sounds wrong.

Last year I was sitting in my living room when I noticed an old man walk up the driveway. Wondering why it took him so long to ring the bell, I got up and looked out the window. There he was ... lifting my palm tree and walking back out!

I hammered on the window and then ran out the door after him. I must say he was sprightly cos he was legging it down the road before I got out! When he saw me following, he dropped the pot and hurled abuse at me. He really behaved as if I had no right to look for my property back. What was more surprising was that he was about 70 if he was a day!!!

in my old house one bank holiday weekend i had 3 garden nomes robbed and also a big fake sheep (it wasnt real) but it was very expensive.

I was so angry, anyways ive big locks on my gates now.

A big fake sheep is not something you see very often in a house garden - it's an open invitation to kid to take it - did you not get any ransom demands?

not my stats - one i believe is from the police service [18,000 - that are reported] the other is from insurance companies - quick web search!

cheers
oirish

in my old house one bank holiday weekend i had 3 garden nomes robbed and also a big fake sheep (it wasnt real) but it was very expensive.

I was so angry, anyways ive big locks on my gates now.

Do you think dogs might have taking a liking to your fake sheep? They can be a bit dumm - the dogs I mean not your fake sheep. I wouldnt like to offend you. Did you replace your sheep and have you got a herd number? Is that the reason for your locked gates?

Just out of curiosity, what was the sheep made of? - was it a joke sheep? - I have seen some very odd gardens in Dublin but a big sheep is a new one on me!

It was very expensive you say? Like how much? You have to tell us more, the curiousity will drive us mad!