Garden Shredder

BlueSpud

I am looking at getting a garden shredder, as I occasionally have a lot of garden waste & hiring a skip is now very expensive. Has anyone any experience of a decent shredder they would recommend? I have no interest in a small flimsey one, it would not last 5 minutes.

not sure where you live but I too generate lots of garden waste. I bag it and head off to ballyogan recycle centre about once a month. Green waste there is free.

I have hired all types of shredders and unless you go for a really high end diesel driven one I think you are wasting your time....

Crikey. I have an electric saw which will handle the bigger stuff, it is really the branch ends with all the bulk that I am trying to deal with. I too go to ballyogan, but I dont have a trailer so bulk is an issue. Surely there is a domestic shredder that will deal with this kind of stuff.

For what it's worth, I bought a "Bosche AXT 2200" shredder, and it's the absolute dogs. It cost €400 and I love it. An Aldi/Lidl type product it definatly is not.

if you visit the ALCI website [broken link removed] and check the trade members section. Care must be taken not to confuse chipper and shredder. You should need one which will take approximate 2/3" with of timber and this can only be a fuel powered. The electric versions are more suited to my folks [ie garden buffs for the sunday sun only/ something useful for a fathers days gift - NB: my opinion only] For this I tend to recommend our bigger clients hire them out. They should cost about 300 euro[ish] per day but are well worth it if you have the volume of green waste. They will give you the same style of chip as what they are now using to chip the M1 motorway. We tend to hire them in once every 3 months or when on a very large 'clearance' job.
A&L machinery in donabate are the company I always talk to there info, as well as other machinery people are available there.