Garden Sheds.....Argos

Anne Marie

ARGOS advertised a GREAT OFFFER. A wood look-alike, steel "Ship-lap", maintenance-free, Garden Shed, reduced from E599.99, to E319.00, offer ending July 28th. It was a brilliant offer.

Only, it NEVER happened. I wanted this shed, and I pursued it daily, after work, in my local ARGOS, as I had been informed, only 2 or 3, would be available WEEKLY. I was FIRST on the Reserved List. They NEVER came, and, after a long, hard talk with ARGOS Customer Services, I was informed...they were NEVER intended for Ireland. They had NEVER been on Sale here, had only "been used for Promotion" purposes, etc etc.

So...why put out a "Special Sale Pamphlet" offering them, at this price, to Irish ARGOS customers??

Is this "FALSE ADVERTISING"? What, exactly are my Rights here? Every day after work, I traipsed into ARGOS, looking for my Shed.....on a total Fool's Mission.
These sheds are now on sale, in the new ARGOS Catalogue for Ireland....(which by the way...is a Total rip-off...compared to ARGOS prices throughout the UK..even allowing for Sterling!!) for E599.99.

Probably, my Rights are NIL. But, I will ALWAYS remember spending Summer 06, trying to buy this non-existant shed.

I'll NEVER, EVER, shop in ARGOS again. Nor, will the Zillion poeple I've told this to.

Re: Garden Sheds.....ARGOS Agh!!!

From what I can remember, lidl or argos were fined for similar offences regarding offers on PC etc, for advertising them and only having one or two in stock! You can report them! It is false advertising!

Argos are often advertising items here which have promotions applying only to the UK. Boots are guilty too.

I bought a product with a 90 day money back guarantee...this was advertised in the catelogue, the stores etc.

When I decided to return the item within the 90 days, I discovered the ninety day money back guarantee was only for the UK. I went back and to store with it and simply said "misleading advertising" and they refunded me. But yes, it's extremely annoying. Why are they allowed to do it?

Husband tells me Thomas Cooks are constantly advertising foreign holidays which originate from the UK and are priced in Pounds sterling...what is the deal!!!

But you were really given the runaround, would be raging too. Make an official complaint. Get some satisfaction.

Another point that I find very annoying about Argos is that they like the colour of our money but could not be bothered to provide a web site equivalent to their UK service.

Since the Irish site first started they have not provided and other items. The UK site shows for electrical items. This difference has existed for many months and even the staff in the Irish branches have mentioned that the site is dreadful.

With their new brochure they just posted a message yesterday saying that they were preparing for the new brochure and were more or less off-line temporarily whereas the UK was up and running and updated.

I found the same thing on numerous occasions with Argos. They had specific shelves I wanted which were reduced from 60 to 30 and I rang all the branches every day with the ring and reserve and they just never had them. It's a disgrace they can get away with it.