garden shed fixings rusting

johnnyg

Hi,

I got a shed erected in our garden 2 months ago by a reputable shed manufacturer, last night i noticed that the nails and clips they used are rusting and staining the timber a black colour is this normal, i thought that they would have used galvenised or coated nails. should the sheds come stained as all the other shed in other gardens from the same supplier are stained brown, my is the natural colour but i'm more concerned about the shed and the fixings..any info please

The cladding in sheds etc is generally fixed using "bright zinc" coated staples. This material is water resistant but not a great outdoors product, still that's what's used. The only suitable product with a long life is stainless steel...

Individual panels tend to be fixed together with bright round wire nails- I've never seen galvanised nails used, although this would be preferable to standard bright nails which rust and give the black stain you refer to.

As for the "natural" finish, maybe your shed is pressure treated or tanalised and doesn't require any further protection- your supplier should be able to confirm this.

Thanks for that, was planning to ask supplier either way but wanted to know the general run of things.