garden is a swamp

merzie

my garden is like a swamp in the winter, i have to wear wellies to walk out , the grass is ruined because of this i even turned it over and seeded it again but its all patchy,now im thinking of getting it slabbed but im afraid it might sink and be a waste of money, what would be the best thing to do , its just an average size garden

Have it slabbed by all means, but when the grass is dug up to have the foundations put in - ensure that the contractor sorts out the drainage problem, otherwise you will just have flooded slabs rather than flooded grass. He should be able to put in drainage pipes that run off into your mains drainage (storm drains). Not a big job if you are having it dug up for slabs anyway.

Good luck !

I had a similar problem and just finished putting in my own drainage.I didn't connect to a storm drain,just into a soak pit.I may be wrong but if I conneced to a storm drain without the councils permission and something went wrong/blocked the pipe I would be liable for all costs.Just hope what I've done works.

Pennypincher

Just wondering what kind of pipes you used to drain the water away and was your soakway just hardcore pit at the bottom of the garden

Use 75mm land drain - a flexible, perforated plastic pipe - which you can get at any good builder's merchant. Ideally you should dig a few trenches and line them with pea grit, lay the pipe on top, cover with loose gravel, earth, and put the sods back on the top. Depending on the size of your garden, a few of these a couple of metres apart would go a long way towards drying out the place, as long as the water has somewhere to go.

Would the water not find its own level in a soak pit? Would it not just rise to the top if it could not go anywhere else?

Marion

I used the 6 Inch Diameter perforated pipe,dug down about 18 inches and then surrounded the pipe with 20mm drainage chippings(very cheap to buy if you get them from quarry).The soak pit was 7 feet long 2.5 wide and about 4.5 feet deep.I filled the bottom with broken cement blocks,then large rounded stones found in garden and finally finished it off with the 20mm chippings.I covered the top of the pipe with weed block before replacing the soil to prevent it blocking with clay.The soakpit should allow the water to drain away plus the pipe now has provided a 6Inch hollow in the soil where it gets most water logged.

all these ideas are great i hope there helping others with the same problem. Thanks

Back