Gardai wearing flak jackets

Wasnt a policewoman in the UK all over the tabloids a few years ago for being stabbed in the back? The conclusion was if she had been wearing her protective vest she'd be alive today.
I think an article of clothing such as a flak jacket/protective vest as an item used solely for defensive purposes should threaten nobody and has probably saved more than a few lives even over here. Its probably even saved a few drug over dosed criminals from serving life for manslaughter.

Wasn't there a Garda killed after being stabbed when attempting to calm down a confrontation outside a nightclub in a Cork town (Mallow possibly) in the last year or two?

A British policeman was stabbed to death in Luton this morning. Ireland isn't all that different to Britain with regard to policing, especially in not generally arming officers. This report in the Telegraph says it's not known if the dead officer was wearing a stab vest.

Yeah thats fine - no argument there - but there is a diff between wearing one in the city at 3am after people pouring out of nightclubs as opposed to at a polling station in a primary school at 5pm in the afternoon.

And maybe we should only put on our seatbelts when we reckon there might be an accident round the corner? I don't see what the problem with flak jackets is at all?

Yeah thats fine - no argument there - but there is a diff between wearing one in the city at 3am after people pouring out of nightclubs as opposed to at a polling station in a primary school at 5pm in the afternoon.

And maybe we should only put on our seatbelts when we reckon there might be an accident round the corner? I don't see what the problem with flak jackets is at all.