Gardai swoop as head shop drugs ban come into force

UptheDeise

GARDAI have swooped on head shops around the country warning owners they are breaking the law by selling psychoactive substances.
The vast majority of the stores stocking the drugs have now closed, though some remain open selling pipes, bongs and other paraphernalia

Some choice quotes:

As a result of the Cabinet-approved order, it is an offence to import, export, produce, supply or possess the prohibited substances where they are to be used for human ingestion.
The exception is when they are intended as flavouring in food

It will give gardai powers to close the shops, with the onus being placed on proprietors to then prove they were not selling illegal drugs

The last quote is absolutely disgraceful. Whatever happened to the innocent until proven guilty maxim that is enshrined in our law? This whole head shop debacle is morally repugnant. And it will lead to corruption amongst some Gardai. :mad:

The State has now assumed that certain business owners are quilty without any credible evidence.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Talk about trial by media, I would be raging if I owned one of these shops.

I heard some fool on Q102 ringing in saying he thinks its great as since legal highs are bad for your body they should be illegal.

Legal highs are bad for your body, apparently, make illegal. Alcohol/tobacco proven to have killer long term damage, sell away.

Swoops now is it?

Sad and lazy.

Pity gardaí aren't as zealous about policing and enforcing the far more serious street crime blighting our urban areas on a daily and nightly basis.

Back