gardai paid to direct traffic into car parks?

BoscoTalking

I have often wondered however this weekend it was everywhere - a garda outside every car park in Cork city directing cars in and out (most doing nothing as there are lights near the majority of them). Why do these not private car parks not employ security for this purpose? or maybe the garda reservists?
Its the same with GAA and other matches and concerts for example, the number of garda providing security at these events must add up. Im sure these folks equally did not join up to stand around in the cold.

I don't think they're there for the benefit of the carpark owners, but to make sure cars that can't get into the carpark move on and don't block traffic by queueing out on the road.
I agree it's a waste of police time, but you get some terribly ignorant selfish drivers who couldn't care less how much chaos they cause as long as they get a parking space. It can cause mayhem around the city centre.

Because the traffic is on a public road , a security guard couldn't stop anyone blocking traffic while queueing.

I don't think they're there for the benefit of the carpark owners, but to make sure cars that can't get into the carpark move on and don't block traffic by queueing out on the road.
I agree it's a waste of police time, but you get some terribly ignorant selfish drivers who couldn't care less how much chaos they cause as long as they get a parking space. It can cause mayhem around the city centre.
in that case i hope they collect a bit of revenue while they are at it from those ignoramus - i have seen'em in action too!, i just feel its a solid waste when there is enough crime to investigate. Perhaps we need to let off a few reservists to these types of jobs - in the UK some forces have issued reservists with limited powers and it has worked out well, doubt the GRa would allow that though.

Back