Gardai are starting up a 30 day speeding ticket Frenzy Starting Sat July 1st

Binomial

What do AAMers make of this chain mail which is doing the rounds this morning? Is it a genuine tip off or is it very clever 'viral' advertising on behalf of the Authorities?

BiNomial

The Gardai are starting up a 30 day speeding ticket rally.

Every Garda assigned to this has to hand out 1 ticket every 20 minutes. Starting Saturday 1st July, they will launch a 30 day speeding ticket frenzy.

The state estimates that over €250,000 will be generated in speeding tickets. €100,000 will go to pay Garda over time. There will 50 Gardai on duty at all times patrolling on the following:

M7/N7 from Naas to Portlaoise
N4 to Mullingar from Dublin
N6 to Athlone
N81 to Baltinglass
N11 to Wexford
M50
Dublin - Drogheda

There will be additional Gardai assigned to 'flying squads' - mobile units to patrol all other routes in Dublin, Wicklow, Kildare, Meath, Laois, Westmeath, Offaly, Louth and Kilkenny.

Five kmph above the limit can justify a ticket and every Garda is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 20 minutes.

They have issued brand new unmarked cars. If you must take one of these main routes, or surrounding roads beware.

I was told Today FM confirmed all of this (off the record).

So be safe and don't forget speeding tickets mean points. You've been warned.

Re: Gardai are starting up a 30 day speeding ticket Frenzy Starting Sat July 1sr

Binomial said:
..or is it very clever 'viral' advertising on behalf of the Authorities?

BiNomial

Ha!Ha! clever advertising from the Authorities.....that's funny!

Re: Gardai are starting up a 30 day speeding ticket Frenzy Starting Sat July 1sr

Speeding on the M50...have the guards been on the M50 recently? Its a bit difficult to speed in a virtual carpark

mobileme said:
Speeding on the M50...have the guards been on the M50 recently? Its a bit difficult to speed in a virtual carpark

There was a speed check there on a Sunday morning recently and by speed check I mean a cop pointing a speed gun at passing traffic...

I've been using the same main road for going to work in the morning for the last 6 Years and if i travel between 7am and 8am, i could with 1 hand count the amount of speeding check points i've seen.
However is a different story after 8am, i'm conveniced its to do with changing of night to day shifts.
If the cops put a check point at that time, they make some serious money!

I got this this morning aswell. As if it would be possible to speed on some parts of the Naas Road at the moment! I went by one of those 'Your Speed Is' things this morning and got a grand total of 3 kph! If they did catch me for speeding, I'd feel like telling them to average it out over the whole journey!

Whether or not it's a spoof (and I suspect that it is) there's an obvious way for motorists to avoid tickets and points...

ClubMan said:
Whether or not it's a spoof (and I suspect that it is) there's an obvious way for motorists to avoid tickets and points...

Is that stay home and do the ironing??

Is that stay home and do the ironing??

Is that you mrs car? have you been out driving again? If that housework isnt done when I get home....

Careful now! The wimmin [broken link removed] that sort of stuff!

ClubMan said:

there is, going by what the PAC say they are easy enough to shake..

ClubMan said:
Careful now! The wimmin [broken link removed] that sort of stuff!
With sexist comments on their site like "We are busy juggling a business/career with keeping a household and rearing children. We are not on the golf course every saturday or in the pub after work!!
Here's to empowering women !!!"
I don't know how they have the nerve. It must be nice to know that you are being talked about ClubMan.:)

Some of my favourites from the link ClubMan posted:

Men like Clubman give men in general a bad name. It's such a pity we have to deal with such chauvinism- it's so Victorian!!

There are alot of throwbacks on that website - not just the one you mentioned and they are so boorish its hard to push them out of the way to get to the good posts.

You go girls!

Those two quotes are at best (unintentionally) ironic and at worst hypocritical.

I got this today too. however I read it in yesterdays Daily Mail first, so it wasn't a surprise.

That it was a hoax, presumably?

Daily Mail paraded it as gospel, but then again they would. good paper for 50c, but sadly no page 3, well not true , there is a page 3 buts its not THE page 3

I'm fairly sure it's a hoax alright lads. I seem to remember receiving a similar email like this last year at about the same time.

The email started this time about somebody doing a wireless broadband install for a garda from the traffic corps.

Anyway, having checked with my sources this is completely old hat (sources within the force) and as was quite rightly pointed out by Clubman, there should be no need to worry providing you stay within the appropriate speed limits and drive carefully.

Purple said:
With sexist comments on their site like "We are busy juggling a business/career with keeping a household and rearing children. We are not on the golf course every saturday or in the pub after work!!
Here's to empowering women !!!" I don't know how they have the nerve. It must be nice to know that you are being talked about ClubMan.:)
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and beer gut and still think they're sexy! ;)

Back