garda vetting unit

dewdrop

a friend has been offered a place in a scottish university and part of the requirements is a report from the police here that she has no criminal convictions. i phoned vetting unit in thurles and was told application would have to be made by the university. at this stage i dont know whether they will do this and the garda suggested she should apply under section 4 of data protection act 1988 and 2oo3. got letter back today from gardai sayinng they have been unable to reveal any peersonal data and not to construe letter as proof of no convictions. any advice of where i should now go..can i get an application form and send it to university for them to submit.

Hi Dewdrop,

I attended a talk by a member of the garda vetting unit recently.

Does your friend have an address in Scotland yet? If so she can be vetted from there. The garda giving the talk said that there is european wide co-operation on vetting - as long as the person has an address in the state to be vetted.

It is not up to an individual to obtain their own garda vetting - if an employer/university etc. want to have you vetted they make the request to the garda vetting unit. This report goes back to them - not to your friend.

Another option might be to ask a local garda that is known to him/her to provide him/her with a letter that he/she does not have any criminal convictions to her name.

Good luck,

HP

thanks henny penny. no scottish address yet. can one get an application form and where and then send it to the university for them to send it to the vetting unit. thanks again