Garda checkpoint

Etherlyx

I came to a checkpoint today. The guard asked me to produce my licence but I had left my purse at home as I was only running up the road to collect my partner. The guard said to produce it in the station within 10 days. However, he didn’t write any information down at all. No details from me whatsoever. He was just holding an electronic device of some sort in his hand but didn’t even touch it or use it , whatever it was. Does this mean when I go to the station to produce my licence that they won’t have any info about me or the reason I’m producing it? How can they tell me I have to produce licence or else get a court summons if they didn’t take my details at all?

He would have your registration number.

Just go to a station with your license to be on the safe side.

Brendan

Whichever station you go to will just record that you produced the licence.

Might be a good idea to keep a note of time and date that you go to the station as people have mentioned in the past that it was not noted. If you can take a note yourself also of the Garda's I.D. on their shoulder as mentioned in the last post on this thread.

I agree. Just go to the station and let them record that you did show up. Tell them where the checkpoint was and get the Garda ID and take note of when you did attend the station and make sure to keep it safe.

Also take your insurance documents with you. He might not have asked for them, but it's better to have them with you than be asked for them at the garda station when they're at home.

the device is likely to have been the new ANPR devices they are rolling out which scans your number plate. That will have checked to see if you are insured or not.

the device is likely to have been the new ANPR devices they are rolling out which scans your number plate. That will have checked to see if you are insured or not.
And it would have checked the license.

Some gardai just like to inconvenience people.

Had one last year - I had license and insurance with me but he insisted that I present them to a garda station.

The Garda in the station rolled his eyes up muttering that the other garda was a pedantic xxxxx

But best to present and make note of day and time.

Back