Garages not taking trade in

macnas

It has come to my attention that some car dealers are not taking cars for trade in until next april/may? This must speed up the closure of many dealers.

It has come to my attention that some car dealers are not taking cars for trade in until next april/may? This must speed up the closure of many dealers.

in some cases it may help the dealers to survive.

it means they don't have to incur the cost of carrying second hand cars which they can't sell, or maybe would have to ultimately sell at a loss.

If they don't take the trade in they will probably not get the new sale so its a bit of a catch 22

Same is happening here in the West - a very big local VW garage is refusing trade in's.

They may be relying on the type of people who really, really, really need to have a new car every X months/years.

These people may feel that they will buy without a trade-in and then sell on their old car themselves instead of through the garage.

The dealer could easily pitch this as "Arrrra, sure we couldn't give you a good price on the trade-in at all so you would be better off selling it yourself and getting more than we could allow." Looked at that way, some people might convince themselves that it makes sense and that they somehow will be able to get a good price on the second hand market when the dealer can't. Dealer sells car, doesn't have to offload trade-in vehicle, smiles.

z

Some dealers are finding it difficult to get lines of credit from the banks to finance working capital. Some of them are slowly strangling and its not pretty.

I had that experience last year in the North West in a Ford dealership. I was trading a 2 yr old Mondeo against a new model Mondeo. He didn't even look at mine.

Back