garage taking too long to fix car

djkat

Hi All

Just want to get a bit of advice, My wife got a new car from a garage at the end of August and at the end of September she went into a garage outside louth and got diesel that had water in it, so the car broke down outside the garag, cutting a long story short we got our car towed to the garage we bought it from and the damage was massive (5k), we are still waiting for the car to be returned but the garage is still waiting for a part (9 weeks later) The garage are saying they dont know when we will get our car back as they dont know when they will get the part, where do we stand on this we do have a petrol replacement car but its costing us money on petrol and the inconvience of trying to fit everything into a smaller car

If they are genuine about it their hands are tied.
A new part from any manufacturer shouldn't take that long.

I would request formal confirmation in writing from them about the delay.
This should include the date the ordered the part and their follow up regime.
I would query the €5,000 figure - get an independent engineer's report on the car.

Or wait and pay it - its up to you.

Did you revert back to the garage that had the water in the diesel ? Surely there must be some onus on them as this is where the problem started. If the car was a new car I find it difficult to understand how can it take so long to repair -- furthermore, the garage have you car and if they go bang your car is sitting with them.

thanks for the peplys, The garage she got the diesel in had a green dye in it aswell so not good and they are not nice people and told us go through our insuance which we are as we didnt want to be waiting for ages for the payment, i have reported the garage to revenue, the car is not brand new it 2009m mini clubman but only 25k miles and 1 owner

The car isn't a "new" car and there may be other problems caused by the previous owner that are only coming to light now.

Get an automotive engineer to inspect the car and issue a report - ask him to assess the work/reports done by the garage.

The dangers of buying dodgy possibly laundered diesel has been aired extensively in many media outlets recently.It is simply not worth the few quid per fill saving.

Back