Garage failure to monitor timing belt?

AlastairSC

Timing belt went on our Opel Agila last week. My wife just had time to pull over from the outside lane on M7 to hard shoulder. No warning - just a clunk and complete loss of power. She didn't know what had happened until the AA towed it to a Dublin Opel garage and they looked inside.

Verdict: needs replacement engine €2k-€3k. Car only worth about €4k so we don't think it's worth it.

The car had been serviced over the last year at our Opel garage nearby. Should they have examined the timing belt and advised us if it needed changing? Or can it just go anyway and were we unlucky? Should we approach the dealer rather than just write it down to bad luck?

Thanks in advance for advice.

whats the lileage on the car?
at the 60k marks its up to you to contract a garage to change the timing belt, tensioner and wter pump.

when you left it in to get serviced, what exactly did you ask them to do?
did you pay them to do a complete check of the car or just simply an oil, filters and plugs change?

You change the belt at the recommended intervals according to the handbook. I'd be surprised if a dealer forgot to tell you about it.

Can't see how a garage could know a belt will snap in a year's time.

Recommended you change belts every 40k miles on them, what's your milage?

... The car had been serviced over the last year at our Opel garage nearby. Should they have examined the timing belt and advised us if it needed changing? ...
If the car was serviced at an Opel main dealer and the belt wasn't replaced to the manufacturer's schedule, then the garage is liable.

If the belt broke within the warranty period then the garage / manufacturer is liable.

If the belt broke after the warranty ran out and before it was due to be changed then you may need to contact Opel customer services and see if they can do something for you as a compensatory gesture.

Maybe you need to get a motor assessor to look at the car to see if he can see any negligence in the maintenance practices / records.

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. He has a Mazda 626. He got a second hand engine for around €800 (plus labour) and the car is still going perfectly.

Make a few enquiries or check online for second hand engines. And look for some kind of a guarantee with it.

Different cars have different intervals....for my Audi it is 80K miles for the 1st timing belt change. I would say that it is up to owner to know this and ensure it is done, not the garage. Very bad luck though OP..I feel your pain there.

can anyone tell em when a VW Golf should have it's belt changed, in KM's? I cannot see anything in the handbook and looking unline shows up various answers
thanks

can anyone tell em when a VW Golf should have it's belt changed, in KM's? ..
As with all VAG cars, that depends on the engine and it'll be specified in the maintenance book (the one the dealer stamps) not the owner's handbook.

My timing belt went on the M50 a few years ago. It was a 5 year old Rover 25 with 120,000. I had the belt changed at 70,000.
Anyway, I took it to the Rover Garage and they quoted me 2500-3000 to fix it. I got a mechanic in North County Dublin to fix it for €800 and sold the car for €3000.

If you want this guy's number I'l send it on.
Alternatively, you could get a second engine in Traynors scrapyard in Co. Armagh.

As with all VAG cars, that depends on the engine and it'll be specified in the maintenance book (the one the dealer stamps) not the owner's handbook.

don't have a Maintenance book, just the owners handbook. It's 1.4 2005 sportsline golf. Best to head into a VW garage and ask them to be certain