Garage Extension/Converion

Affluence!

Hi guys, just need some advice, my house has front and rear access, to the back there is a drive and then a drive in garage. The garage up to now had been used for storage for tools etc, but I have noticed many have converted their old garages into new extra lounges mainly for their kids, teenagers and young adults. Our existing garage is about 5.5m x 4.5m, up to what size can I extend it? also what is the max pitch roof height, it is currenly a flat roof and I would guess the block work ends at maybe 2.2m or so... Encroaching on the existing garden is no prob space wise as it is fairly substantial. On one side one of our neighbours has put up a garage, he leases out, it is fairly collosal, easily double the size of ours, Im not sure whether he obtained permission, it was done at the same time as completely gutting the house, which he inherited. Im just wondering whether the garage was legal, cause if it is, its literally a house on its own! fingers crossed :) in short, I want to know the max dimensions of a rear garage (It is about 25m back from the hourse) any help, insight, comments, suggestions appreciated, Thanks! :)

1. you cannot extend a garage without planning permission
2. you cannot convert a detached garage into habitable acomodation without planning permission
3. you may be allowed to put a pitched roof on it that doesnt exceed 4m in height from ground level, this is generally allowed on new builds but may be 'signed off' by some architects.
4. your neighbours situation is allowed if he has planning for it.

I take it there's no planning needed if converting a garage into a games room? Do you need permission if blocking up the entrance and putting in a window even if the purpose of the conversion isn't for accomodation?

I take it there's no planning needed if converting a garage into a games room? Do you need permission if blocking up the entrance and putting in a window even if the purpose of the conversion isn't for accomodation?

the chang of use from domestic garage to habitable accomodation doesnt require permission. It depends on what the use will be.... a 'games room' is considered 'habitable accomodation' as it would be used for the enjoyment of the dwelling....

Back