gaps in door architrave

M

modemnut

I recently moved into a new house recently and am starting to realise that some of the carpentry/joinery is a bit shoddy.

The most obvious problem at the moment is that many of the doors have a 1-2 mil gap in the architrave where the side piece meets the top piece.

I'm wondering if these gaps can be filled and if someone can recommend a product or has any tips on how to fix this. The doors/architrave are varnished (not painted white ) so I guess this makes things a bit tricky.

this is a common result of the industry standard to have snag lists done before the purchaser occupies the dwelling..... which is wrong.... snag lists should be done a minimum of 3 months after the purchaser occupies the dwelling.. then most of these shrinkage, expansion issues would be fixable....

i cant really help the OP.... i know there are wood filler products out there which would suit.... ive also seen epoxy glue with sawdust being used to fill gaps like this....

To be honest I think it shows up worse when filled, its no problem when the architraves are painted but when varnished it really shows up as its impossible to get a wood filler the right colour.

thanks for the suggestions guys.

I will keep out for the epoxy glue with sawdust - sounds like what I need.

Someone also suggested getting a piece of timber of hitting the top piece a few whacks with a hammer. I dont like the sound of this though !

Might be cheaper to put up a new architrave which is properly mitred or use ornate blocks on top so that you can square cut the architrave up to it.