game boy for xmas

MUM2KIDS

Hi let me start by saying I know nothing about computer games and gadget nor does dad2kids. Starting to think about xmas and my 6 year old is looking for a gameboy, couple of questions that I hope some one can help me with. Are game boys too advanced for a 6 year old, and if not what type to go for. I can see for Google that there are games boys and game boy advanced. Any major difference. Is it worth buying on line or would a retailer be better to buy from??????

Not much experience buying consoles online but buying from retailer you can get good deals. Certain stores will have a selection of bundles so you can choose the console with certain games for a certain price. These bundles can include discount vouchers for future purchases.
The Gameboy Advance is pretty good but not sure about the range of games for that agegroup.

Mum2kids,
Your best bet is to buy the "gameboy advance sp" as there are no new games being brought out for the original gameboy.
Buying on line is much cheaper than buying from a retailer but to be honest, at 6 I wonder is he a little too young for one.
Hence, it might be an idea to buy one from the internet second hand.. It you are familer with ebay then you could get a very good one for about €100 with games included..

I have a 10 yr old and she has a Nintendo DS (stands for double screen). It will play gameboy advance games and DS games and is 149.99 in Argos with the Nintendogs game (all about raising and training puppies) page 1589 in the new catalogue - might be too girlie for him. Game boy advance is on page 1591 and is cheaper. Depends how much you think Junior's going to play with it. PS2 is same price as DS and played on yr telly - but geared towards an older child - majority of the games are tactical, sport or war related. If you're unsure I'd go for the Gameboy advance - the games are cheaper and some have 2 games on the same cartridge - he can always get DS or PS2 later - xmas, birthday, confirmation.

I'd say Argos, Smyths or World of Wonder are your best bet for prices - especially heading upto Xmas. They tend to do bundles around that time - 1 or 2 games and the console for X amount, and vouchers for future purchases. Most of the games are for age 3 and over. So well within the remit of your average 6 yr old.

Why not take him with you to Smyths/World of Wonder for a mooch and see what he interests him to get a better idea. I tend to leave the catalogues kicking around so Poppy can have names of things for her Santa list.

We had a number of threads here before on this topic. See: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=17598&highlight=gameboy . My recommendation is the Gameboy Advance SP which is a flip open thing-a-me-jig. Since I last posted on that thread the 4 year old is now a 5 year old and can fly around the console. He is very aware of advertising and is asking Santa for a DS. The beauty about the Gameboy is that most kids have them and game cartridges are relatively inexpensive especially if you buy from the bargain sections of cdwow and play.com or in pre-owned bins of retailers such as Game. As to where to buy the console - I have never bought one online. I presume with a little searching you could save a few bob compared with downtown but give yourself a lot of time for the postman to arrive especially if its an order for the white bearded one

we got a GBA for our 4yr old last year. Just got him the 1 game to start with and he plays it now & again. There are plenty games suitable for your 6yr old. Just stick to ones for his own age group.

One of the best games out there for young kids is the Lego Star Wars series. Even I find it hard to put the game down

There is a game called brain training for the nintendo ds, not sure if it is available here yet, but it is basically like an iq test as a computergame. A lot of the Zelda games also require problem solving to complete.

Santa brought a Nintendo DS for my 6-yr old boy last year. It was a great catch. He can exchange with pals that have either GBA and DS. I was stuck in the conundrum of whether to go DS, GBA, PS2 or PSP last year. I walked into "Game" and they were very helpful. He said GBA was being phased out at that stage and that DS was therefore better future proofed. PSP was too new, expensive and unavailable at the time, but glad I didn't go for it. PS2 is probably on the cards this coming year because his cousins have a library of games he can (ahem) borrow.

The handhelds are great for the car and he has not become an addict. Game selection not as good as PS* but I have never taken him into a store to buy a game and come out disappointed.

Thanks everyone for the replies, looks like Santa will be out shopping for a gameboy this xmas. Thanks for the tips on the games and where to buy.