Galvanized steel lentil

whyno

Anyone know where I could source a galvanised steel lentil in the west of Ireland? I need it to support natural limestone over a window at the front of our house.

Steelite are the main manufacturer of these (Kildare based I think). Most builders providers can order them in for you once you give them the length. They also have a website. I have no connection with this company...

What you need is called "Angle Iron" and you will get exactly what you need in Butler's Steel in Ballaghaderreen. It is expensive, as it is galvanised.

Your stone mason should know someplace that sells it, as he would be using these all the time. He should also be able to tell you the size and the gauge needed, as this will depend on the width of the opening, and the amount of stone that the lintel will have to carry.

Get it organised as soon as you can, because it can often happen that there is plenty of steel in stock, but is not galvanised, and you will have to wait until it has been done.

Thanks for the replies. I got a quote from Steelite but it was prohibitively expensive so I need to look for an alternative. I'll look into the ones in Butlers and check for ones off the shelf as well.

I know the size and guage I need from the plans that Steelite drew up for me so at least I have that to go by. Stonemason had no contacts to help me out unfortunately.