Galaxy or Alhambra?

AlastairSC

Choice now down to one of these two for general family use and ferrying kids +sportsgear from second-level school. Buying second-hand, probably from a dealer for the peace of mind. Budget dictates 04-01. Have researched both on carzone/mags etc.

Comments welcome from those with experience of either.

I travelled the same road a few years back and have been driving an 01 Alhambra for the last four years or so. The cars are pretty much identical except for cosmetics/the badge; the engine is identical, a VW design*. The Alhambra tends to cost less for reasons of 'brand prestige' and, depending on what you can find, may have added features compared to the Galaxy (or the Sharan) — eg tiptronic transmission, A/C, etc. This previous thread may be of interest.

Basically I'd go with whatever's the best deal you can get from a dealer — and yes, for that money I'd stay local. Watch out if they offer an extended warranty — it ties you to servicing the car with them for the duration.

*I'd recommend the 1.9TDi 115bhp, if you can find one. Very economical and, if you service it regularly, will probably still be running long after you and I have hung up our taxi-driving boots... :D

Have '02 Galaxy with 95k (miles) on the clock from new. 115bhp Zetec 1.9TDi. Done half of Europe in it for summer hols with kids (roof box - bicycles on the back etc etc). You wont go wrong with one of these - trouble free - don't know anthing about the Alhambra I'm afraid....

BM

Bought a 06 Galaxy this year. Very pleased so far. Had a choice between the Galaxy or an Alhambra which had the tiptronic gear box and all the extras. A garage man I know/trust felt that the Galaxy was a better buy I think because of easier resale so I went with that. Both seem very good cars either way.

Eoghan

I'm on my second Alhambra and find them great. Opted for an automatic this time round. Would definitely go for 1.9 TDi.

Back