GAA President - No Shamrock.

Ash 22

I watched the GAA Club Finals on television yesterday. Being the day that was in it I was very surprised to see that the President of the assosc. Christy Cooney did'nt wear any shamrock. As the GAA promotes all things Irish and cultural I am amazed that he did'nt wear our national emblem on the big day. Not even a green tie in sight!

Well done to the TnaG reporters at the game on their fine sprigs on display. The RTE newsreaders looked well also.

Meanwhile watching one of the American news channels it was lovely to see so many of the presenters with green ties etc, some of whom had probably no Irish roots atall.

If the President of the USA can wear the shamrock why not the President of the GAA?

Maybe he just didn't feel like it?? is it that big a deal?

Kinda what I was thinking.

Personally it has never crossed my mind to get/wear shamrock. I don't know anyone who does. I see it occasionally on people who are 70+

I just thought it being the largest organisation of its kind in the country promoting our Irish games and culture and being the day that the All Irl Club finals are played that he could at least display some emblem of Irishness.

... he could at least display some emblem of Irishness.
Maybe he was wearing a genuine St. Patrick's flag (red intersecting diagonals on a white background) in his lapel or a genuine St. Patrick's blue tie rather than the symbols first used and paraded by a mid-18th century British colonial army in North America and used as de rigueur confirmations of "Oirishness" since? Do you feel he should have had a pint of Guinness in his hand while performing an "Oirish jig" during the National Anthem, faith an' begorrah?

Yes maybe mathepac he should have dressed as a leprechaun and got in the spirit of things. We would have forgiven him!

For first time for long number of years no shamrock on sale on the Cork streets. Blame the frost. most unwise to dress as a leprechaun as one such person shot dead by police in U.S. in alleged bank robbery.

Personally, I couldn't give a humdinger damn whether the president of the GAA wore shamrock or not. We have enough Sacred Cows in Ireland Ltd as it is.

I'm more concerned about the economy than a green weed displayed from somebody's coat.

Its odd but I dont think I have ever seen real shamrock in the wild. Clover yes but no tiny shamrock. Maybe we could have picked a better national emblem e.g. nettle, dandelion, dock leaf, daisy, moss, ragwort etc. Scots took thistle already.

For first time for long number of years no shamrock on sale on the Cork streets. Blame the frost. most unwise to dress as a leprechaun as one such person shot dead by police in U.S. in alleged bank robbery.
Maybe not in Cork's streets but certainly in Cork St., Dublin. Lidl were selling good sized plastic sachets of it for 50c there earlier in the week.