GAA Players Assoc, GPA: "We want money from the state coz we cant do nixers"

contemporary

Interesting concept from the GPA

Dont you know our hobby is affecting the black market, we need grants to help us....I wonder if the revenue will start knocking on his door?

Re: "We want money from the state coz we cant do nixers"

quote : Dont you know our hobby is affecting the black market, we need grants to help us....I wonder if the revenue will start knocking on his door?

How do you know they dont pay tax on all earned income ?

Think 'nixer' has different meanings in different areas. In some areas a nixer specifically means a job you don't pay tax on, in others it simply means a job you do outside of your normal nine to five and you could well be declaring it for tax purposes.

To echo the earlier post above maybe most or all of the recipients of such expenses are fully tax compliant already?

to me a nixer is an under the counter payment, the good old "i'll do it for 800 quid cash love" type jobs, i know of plenty of people who do cash jobs and never delcare it...

To me a nixer is a secondary income source.

to me a nixer is an under the counter payment, the good old "i'll do it for 800 quid cash love" type jobs, i know of plenty of people who do cash jobs and never delcare it...

I would also use the word for a plummer who does a 9-5 in a firm , and a few jobs on his own in the evening ....

these may or may not be declared for tax ....and nothing in the quote suggests they are not....

Its' actually got nothing to do with tax dodging. Its about income and whether that income is taxed or not isnt the core issue about the GAA policies. To be fair, its just as valid to say that GAA involvement means less revenue to the taxman from Nixers but thats just one possibility.
This is about the attitude towards being compensated for volunteering ones time. Anyone who volunteers ones time is sacrificing something. Whether they should be compensated or not is yet another issue. Perhaps someone who understands this issue and its complexity could start another thread somewhere as I'd like to understand the issue of whos paid what within the GAA better.

Maybe Revenue will start asking questions about the 'expenses' being paid to managers and players?

They already have. Mick O'Dwyer was subjected to a comprehensive Revenue Audit in 2002 and received a "clean bill of health" from the Revenue at the end of the audit. He was asked to justify all his sources of income "over many years". He recounted this story at length in a recent Sunday Independent interview and presumably also in his recent book.

Agreed. That said, a complaint that someone "that is self-employed cannot do 'nixers' in the evenings because of training" can really only have one meaning. Eddie Brennan is lucky that he is a Garda. If Mick O'Dwyer or any other self-employed GAA figure had made such a statement, I'm sure the Revenue would have drawn their own conclusions...

The modern-day economy is about returns and any player that is self-employed cannot do 'nixers' in the evenings because of training.

Am I missing something here, is participating in GAA games compulsory ??

If you want to do nixers in the evenings (whether black market or not)then surely the solution is to keep your evenings free of other commitments.

If you want to do nixers in the evenings (whether black market or not)then surely the solution is to keep your evenings free of other commitments.

My sentiments also.

And mine.

I can't help thinking that the GPA have gone too far this time.

Although maybe they're entitled to express their view if perhaps its the view of some or all of the members? As far as I know noone from the GPA has advocated non payment of taxes which would in my opinion be an irrefutable definition of going too far.

Im not defending the GPA's stance here but lets say most of your counties best players didnt traning because of other commitments and when the championship came around the county got knocked out in the first round, and then attendences started to fall because these players were also missing from matches on a sunday because they had to fit a kitchen (silly example but you get the point), who would be giving out then?? The public of course, all saying why couldnt Player x or Player y not give up his time and play for the county.....

Like the rest of us these players have to also try and pay bills and feed their families and so on and to have them give up a huge chunk of their lives come the championship deserves alot more respect to be honest !

This theory is hardly credible. Players drop out of the county scene all the time, for career, family and other reasons. No player is beholden to their county. I can't think of anyone who has faced criticism for quitting, either temporarily or for good. I never heard anyone criticise Diarmuid Marsden when he quit for a few years after the 2003 All Ireland Final, before returning in 2007. I never heard anyone criticise Brian Corcoran for quitting 4 or 5 years ago either. Ditto with DJ Carey who quit for a while in 1999. Ditto with Declan O'Keeffe who quit in 2003. Ditto with Declan Browne when he quit last year. None of these players were at retirement stage when they quit the county scene. To the best of my knowledge, all continued to play with their clubs after quitting the county team. They are but a few examples of many.

I don't agree with the players actions but I am beginning to wonder how much longer the GAA can bury its head in the sand with regard to the fact that GAA at inter-county level is professional in all but name. I was reading at the weekend that even the referees at this level are expected to pass the fitness test used by FIFA on its top level paid professional referees. Managers are paid and there is no point denying it. Players are probably training as hard as professional sports people but trying to do it part time. The GAA is talking about following the English Premiership with regard to its tv deal and splitting the rights to different broadcasters like they have already done with the sponsorship of the championship. Everything that the GAA is doing shows that it sees itself as a professional sport competing with soccer, rugby etc so as much as it might ruin the sport and I really don't want to see it, they are going to have to accept that pay for play is the logical conclusion to the road they have taken.