FX Currency Cards when on holiday

D

Dubturbo

Hi

I've been doing a lot of search both here and on the wider internet to try and find more information on this, but I'm more confused that when I started! Maybe someone has some experience to share?

I'm going backpacking around the US for 3 weeks. I don't want to carry large amounts of cash as I'll be staying in hostels, and both the credit card charges and ATM card charges for taking out money while there look very expensive with the banks I'm with.

I have been looking at FX Currency Cards (like Travelex or Caxton, although I'm sure there's others) where you pre-load money onto the card, and use it in the local denominations like a domestic ATM or debit card, and on the surface this seems ideal - but it's hard to find any experiences people have of using them, or even where to apply for them!

I'd really appreciate any advice, not just on this, but handling money in the US generally.

Thanks a mill!

Can you use these cards for ATM withdrawals without charges? I took Euro cash to Turkey and changed in local Bureaux and got a better vrate than when I bought cash at my local Credit Union! However, I understand your reluctance to carry cash to US. slim

Thanks for the reply

Likewise, I wouldn't be too bothered if it were somewhere more local, but between going so far away and staying in hostels, big cash amounts don't sound like a great idea!

Certainly with some of the cards, it seems that if you stick to ATMs of their "partner" banks in the US, that you'd have little or no withdrawal fee. Then there's the question of the rate they give you when you pre-load the card, security in case the card is lost or stolen, etc etc...