Furniture Lead in times.

carraig king

Is it just me or are the ordering/lead in times for furniture on the increase. I recently enquired about purchasing a coffee table in a reputable Cork furniture store and was told that it would take 14 weeks approx for it to be delivered. For an ordinary table constituting 4/5 pieces of timber it is a disgrace. Having checked some other furniture shops about similar products I am astonished at the lead in times quoted. Has anyone have any similar experiences or could recommend any good furniture stores in the Munster area. I am looking for a beech coffee table and a nest of tables also.

Bought a bathroom unit and a couch from two different but very reputable stores not too long back....8 weeks and 12 weeks lead time respectively. Had me scratching my head a bit ! Can't help on the store in Munster though !

r2d2

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting on a couch for the last 9 weeks. When ordering I was told it would be 6-8 weeks. Rang yesterday and they don't know where it is. They were expecting a container but don't know whats in it. What kind of tracking system is that?

Ordered a table and chairs in Instore on Sunday, being delivered tommorow. Thats a proper service.

I am furnishing my first house at the moment and find it incredibly infuriating that shops seem to have almost none of their display items in stock. I am on 3 "out of stock order forms" in a certain very well known furniture shop in Dublin, have been promised phone calls and have received none. Its almost like these shops don't want your money! I have ended up buying a lot of things in smaller "boutique" stores where the prices are the same if not less, the items are available immediately and the service is excellent. We bought a bed in one of these shops - it was delivered the next day!! Everywhere else was quoting a 10 week lead in "at least"!

I never buy from shops that cannot deliver immediately. I make no bones about pointing it out to the shop staff either.

I've found a few retailers who have stock and will deliver in my area.

Life is too short and items too expensive to have to wait a quarter of a year

Last edited:
I recently enquired about a bed on display in INSTORE in Limerick and was told it would be available at the end of February?
Where is it coming from Mars?

Most furniture shops have some sort of lead in time, I have found smaller retailers to be the best, independents rather than chain stores.

Most independent stores carry stock and can offer better delivery service.
The growth of UK multiples or chain stores in Ireland has increased considerably over the past year.

The reason some of these can offer sofa's or beds at discounted prices is because they can order in containers once they have enough orders and so the long lead time.

The furniture market is very competitive so do shop around and you will get something delivered when you want it.

Most independent stores carry stock and can offer better delivery service.

Would agree with that. I've ordered furniture from both smaller independent places and larger chain stores. Have found the independent shops to be way better. Ordered a bed and a mattress from shop, delivered next day for free. Had checked for comparison in chain store, way more expensive, 4- 6 week wait and 40 euro delivery charge! Bigger stores do not always have best value or service!

Ordered 2 two-seaters back in April/May from Instore, got a call last month to say they were delayed and I'd have them first week of November. No sign of them so I rang today. Turns out I can have 1 now and 1 in four months time. No joke. The second one came in in the wrong colour.

Needless to say I'm cancelling the lot.