Furniture is Overdue

suzyann

We bought a dining table and chairs in a large well known Furniture store in Dublin - We were told delivery would be between 5-7 weeks - We bought in August and had to pay in full. It has well gone past the delivery date and we have contacted them on numerous ocassions in the last week only to be told that someone will call us back in relation to the matter - then no one ever does - Even the store manager doesn't want to know and said he would get back to us but never did - We are amazed at how rude these people are . I am going to write a letter of complaint to the head office but is there anything else I can do in the meantime - apart from going down to the store ( we plan to do this tomorrow night if opened late)

Write a letter of complaint in the first instance.

Check out [broken link removed] for a summary of your rights.

Suzyann, my personal suggestion would be to demand a full refund, however I know that is easier said than done, having gone through a similar situation buying a suite. We were promised delivery in 4 weeks, then it became 5, then it became 7. Even today, despite being promised the suite was in the warehouse and would definitely arrive today I got a call at 11 this morning to say they couldn't deliver today as agreed at which point I completely lost the head and told them if the suite wasn't in my house by 5pm I would be standing in their shop complaining loudly until I got my €1700 back in cash. The suite arrived 2 hours later! I really didn't want to cancel the order as I love the suite and didn't fancy many more weeks of sitting on the kitchen chairs, computer chair and garden recliner since we ditched the old suite 2 weeks ago but I would have today if it hadn't arrived. Can you manage without a dining table for a while longer or source out a company that have them in stock?

I too was amazed at just how rude the shop assistants were, like you, phone calls not returned, and today on 2 occassions I was "accidentally" cut off half way through a conversation much to the amusement of one of the staff. I will definitely be writing a strongly worded complaint (not that I expect them to take much notice) but I am pretty sure I have put people off buying from them by telling as many people as I could about them - including I found out today by chance the grand-daughter of the shop owner who happens to work at the same place as me!

If you paid by credit card check out with your company to see what your options are under complaints procedure. If you have the option of cancelling payment then let the shop know this.

Making a scene in the shop in front of as many other customers sometimes works a treat

We really like the furniture and dont want to be without a dining table and chairs for Christmas - while I would like to tell them that we want a full refund I'd prefer just to get the furniture
My real issue is how rude the staff are , it should be common courtesy to return a phone call - even if there is no update . So we are calling to teh shop and will get some resolution this evening

We recently had problems with our overdue "Suite".

Once the contract became overdue - and we were advised we had a couple more months to wait. I asked them for a suite of furniture to tide us over until it arrived - they delived this the next day.

When the suite did arrive 21 weeks later - when it came time to paying the remainder due - I asked them for free delivery - they agreed.

Point to note - if you do not ask, you do not receive!
I was at all times nice when asking, not to rub them up the wrong way.