Funky Haircut for Middle-age

Noilheart

Dear people on askaboutmoney, can anyone tell me where I can get a modern looking haircut? I am an older woman and although I have tried many hairdressers over the years, they alwways cut my hair in a very conventional rather grandmother style in spite of my efforts to persuade them to give mesomething a bit more edgy. Once I asked to have fashion pieces put in, but hairdresser persuaded me it wouldn't suit my hair and ended upl putting the burgundy highlights all over the hair which just looked very ordinary. While in Australia recently I noticed many older women have very individually styled hair, some even had those fashion pieces I wanted - and it was like a statement "I'm not dead yet". So if anyone has the name of an adventurous hairdresser I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

I haven't been there myself but a friend (in her early 30s and who is quite adventurous with her hair) goes to a salon in Grafton St called Lunatic Fringe. They have cut styles into her hair which are different to the bigger salons and she feels they listen to her and make suggestions. She is very happy with them. Could be worth a try.

I would recommend Jean in Zoo, she is brilliant but will only give you a hairstyle that suits your face shape and type of hair you have. All my friends and my Mum go there.

Thank you all very much for replies - Ill probably try Zoo first and then Lunatic Fringe if necessary.

Recommend Billy Orr, he's based in Kazumi in Molesworth St, he's only there Fridays & Saturdays, I find him excellent and he listens to the customer, something a lot of hairdressers don't do.

Hi everyone again, just to report back on my haircut. I went to Zoo, bu not to Jean as she had no appointments free before Christmas, so I got someone else instead. I did my best to expalin what I wanted but didn't get a great reception for my ideas. The hairdresser agreed to do a colour piece to one side of my head, but unfortunately it is barely visible because the overall colour is quite dark and the fashion piece is somewhat darker, and looks a bit like a mistake was made in mixing the colour. It is far from the idea I had in y head which was for something deeply contrasting with the surrounding hair. The cut seems ok though and is sort of a tossed look which I have not been allowed to have before. Will try the others mentioned above in my quest for a non-geriatric look. Thanks again.

jaybird - that's a good idea about the photo - I think I will take a photo of my current cut which I like and take that along next time.

Dear people on askaboutmoney, can anyone tell me where I can get a modern looking haircut? I am an older woman and although I have tried many hairdressers over the years, they alwways cut my hair in a very conventional rather grandmother style in spite of my efforts to persuade them to give mesomething a bit more edgy. Once I asked to have fashion pieces put in, but hairdresser persuaded me it wouldn't suit my hair and ended upl putting the burgundy highlights all over the hair which just looked very ordinary. While in Australia recently I noticed many older women have very individually styled hair, some even had those fashion pieces I wanted - and it was like a statement "I'm not dead yet". So if anyone has the name of an adventurous hairdresser I would love to know. Thanks in advance.

Hi Bridget, does it have to be a city centre based salon? There are obviously plenty of reputable salons in Dublin city that could meet your needs but if you were willing to take a punt on an up and coming suburban ( West Dublin) salon, PM me and I can give you some details. Without wanting to breach any posting guidelines, I can tell you that I own a new salon in West Dublin and we've hired some genuinely technical\creative stylists and a wonderful salon director, we also spend quite a lot of time\money on staff training. - the feedback so far has been fantastic...anyway, like I say..PM me if you don't get sorted out.

DD

Back