Funeral travel expenses

Headothelake

Hi All, I have to travel to New York for a funeral, I havent booked a ticket yet. I am just wondering as I will have to pay a premium fare do I have any recourse either through insurance or with the airline itself. Also any recommendations for booking filghts would be appreciated.

Hi Lauren,
I have travel insurance with AIB but I am having difficulty getting someone to talk to and I am in the process of arranging bookings now. So i suppose I am just trying to gather info quickly.

Some of the airlines do compassionate fares for funerals. Has to be a close relative though. I know Delta do them.

As for insurance - I don't understand your query? Why would you think you would be covered, unless you're here on holidays, have travel insurance and have to return for a close family funeral. Then you might be, depending on the T&C of your policy

ok now I see you have an AIB policy. No company would even think of providing cover for relatives dying abroad..it would cost them a fortune.

Last edited:
Ditto here - can't see what your travel insurance has to do with this. But if in doubt the terms & conditions of the policy booklet should clarify what is and what is not covered.

You can fly to NY with Aer Lingus tomorrow (booking this minute) returning on Thursday for 606 euro. That compares with the average cost of 450 to 500 (including fuel surcharges) so your only looking at a €150 premium. I'll bet you that €150 that any travel insurance policy that has a "return home early" allowance will have an excess that will cancel out any costs you incur.

Certainly check with the airline and see if you can have a compassionate fare. I returned early from Boston some years ago for an Aunts funeral and Aer Lingus waived the cost of changing a restricted ticket.