Funds investment

sue_flaherty

Hi
just looking for advice on investing in funds on a rabodirect investment account - is it a good time to purchase funds. At the moment all the ones I currently have are in the red so would it be a good time to buy more or do peolpe see that things will continue to go down even futher.

I have become very sceptical about Rabodirect and their funds of late. I usually invest directly in shares, but some time ago i invested in a good few of these funds, more or less for comparisons with direct investment.
They are spread geographically and in different sectors.
Every one of these are significantly under water and collectively over 20% down. I am now watching them on a daily basis and i am particularly concerned about mining, energy, and new energy. It is strange that these funds are showing a big loss now given the momentum that commodities and particularly oil have had.
Quite frankly they are not suitable in my case, because i cannot write off losses against cgt.
Also i notice that some of the funds now have a different name, changed from Merril Lynch.
I do not remember getting any info on this but i amy have missed it, among some of the rubbish they send out.
Anyway i will be ditching them soon.

Sailor - there really is no point in apportioning blame to any particular funds. The value of all equities have dropped considerably in the past few months. All funds no matter which Company is running them have dropped significant amounts.

I have 4 funds with Rabo and like yours they are all down. Again all 4 are in different sectors and also split between bonds and equities. However they are doing no worse than other funds and their benchmarks.