Fundraisers for GAA clubs etc

johnflan

My local GAA club is looking at organising a fundraiser for the 1st time and we're having a debate about what you could earn from one thats organised properly.

Ideas suggested included Golf Classic, Race Night, Card(Poker,25) Night etc etc...the usual suspects I guess.

Anyone out there been involved in these type of events before and potentially what kind of money can be raised.

I know that it all depends on how proactive the committee are but I'm trying to get a feel for what amounts people have raised for their local club in the past.

Thanks in advance..

I think a big factor is how much you will have to spend to get facilities, equipment, staff, prizes etc. Try and keep the costs as low as possible (sounds obvious I know!!!), and get people to give you better rates than the normally would on the basis that it's for a 'good' cause.

Race Night is great craic, but can be expensive to run.
Poker is very popular these days, but I don't know what it costs to run an event.
I did hear of auctions (tickets, sporting memorabilia etc.) making quite a good return, but that was for more 'charitable/worthy' causes.

My club ran who wants to be a millionaire. They had a committee set up who organised teams of people to help out with sponsorship hunting. Some crowd from Limerick run it- cant remember the name of company. I think they are booked up for months though.
It was a brilliant night, The club raised in excess of 12K.
Takes a bit of organising and lots of sponsorship but worth it in the end!

Wow, 12k thats very impressive.

My Dads been the chief fundraiser for a small local hurling club for years. The most successful nights are usually "Nite at the Dogs" which often generate 6,000+, a lot for such a small club... but they are very difficult to organise. Flag days tend to generate 2-3k, althought it depends on the level of footfall (we do them at 2/3 locations in the center of Mullingar). And the old reliable - the bag pack, generates several thousend, depending on number of hours/days done.

Most importantly, it really depends on the clubs reputation, and general public image. When I am fundraising (packing bags or selling stickers) for the hurling club, there is always a great response and usually good comments about the club... however when I do the same thing for the less public swimming club, the mood is much less generous... mainly because its a fee paying club and people think ity should support itself... obviously thats wrong... but thats another days argument!