Funchal - One of 10 worst airports to land at.

BOXtheFOX

I see that Aer Lingus have started a scheduled flight to Funchal. This airport is said to be one of the 10 worst airports in the world to land a plane at. Like landing on an aircraft carrier. Apparently the airport only allow the flight captains to land the planes. With all the new destinations now becoming available including Funchal, do all Aer Lingus/Ryanair pilots get special training/practice at each and every airport or do they just head in the direction of the airport and ...........

...or do they just head in the direction of the airport and ...........

Was it last year or 2005 that a Ryanair pilot mistook an old military airport for the City of Derry Airport adn landed his plane plus passengers there?!?

Actually he wasn't actually a Ryanair (staff) pilot - he was a pilot with a charter airline (Eirjet) conracted in by Ryanair. See .

I do not think it is part of the "10 worst" list anymore

For info, Dublin Airport longuest runway is 2637m.

You are clear to land now...

I have visited the island many times and have not noticed anything unusual when taking off or landing. As Bacchus said the runway was extended to facilitate larger jets. The airport itself is well run and a pleasure to travel through (especially when compared to the nightmare out in North Dublin!)

the runway extends out into the sea, the plane approaches from over the sea and it looks as if you are going to land on the water as you come in as you can't see land. It's not scary and is a fine small airport, way better then Dublin

the runway extends out into the sea, the plane approaches from over the sea and it looks as if you are going to land on the water as you come in as you can't see land.
Lots of other airports like that - Faro, Nice, San Francisco etc.

... do all Aer Lingus/Ryanair pilots get special training/practice at each and every airport or do they just head in the direction of the airport and ...........

No, they get a free holiday there for every 1,000 safe and successful landings

Seems to be good feedback about the airport from passengers - it's clean and quick. Better check it out it person, me thinks.

I see that Aer Lingus have started a scheduled flight to Funchal. This airport is said to be one of the 10 worst airports in the world to land a plane at...........

Look on the bright side BOXtheFOX, nobody is actually forcing you to go there.

Its only for those that like that sort of thing

Look on the bright side BOXtheFOX, nobody is actually forcing you to go there.

Its only for those that like that sort of thing

Couldn't resist the Aer Lingus offer of €35 each way and I was able to rent an apartment for €490 for the week. I guess I will have to grin and bear it.......www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZEImR9-IU

Couldn't resist the Aer Lingus offer of €35 each way and I was able to rent an apartment for €490 for the week. I guess I will have to grin and bear it.......www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fZEImR9-IU

Where did you rent the apartment do you mind me asking?
Sounds like a good deal