Fun stuff to do with your young kids around the house (1 suggestion)

Betsy Og

Our young lad, 2yr old in Summer, absolutely loves boucing on a double air mattress, and he gets a great kick out of it when you hold up one end of it and he tries to climb up, and you can then bounce him from side to side (excercise care - would be easy to land them out on the floor!), turning him over.

Anyone else have other simple cheap/free stuff than you've found kids love. Doesnt everyone always say kids get more fun out of the big box than the gadget that was inside it !!

Get a box & start filling it with glue, markers, shiney paper (sweet wrappers are great), cotton wool, wool, feathers, card, glitter, crepe paper etc, and leave him at it (well obviously you have to supervise!!). Just keep adding to the box and he will get years of fun.

Stand him up at the sink (again supervise) & put some water in a basin & give him some plastic cups so "wash up"....messy, but fun...a big old towel on the ground is a good idea.

Out to the garden & get them a plastic spade & let him go worm hunting. Ask him to show you his presents in the garden!!

Paper, crayon and paint or "helping" with the cooking/ baking are popular with my 3 year old.

making cakes was something i loved doing as a kid with my mam, chocolate rice krispy cakes, and there used to be a fairy cake and madera cake mix so exciting getting to play with goo! I mean stir the cake

Im more technorati so try these ones, theres print and cutouts at starfall which is more of an education site, our 4 and 3 yr olds get a great buzz out of jigzone.

www.starfall.com
www.jigzone.com
www.primarygames.com

For cooking, get a sandwich bag, put in a handful of Rice krispies or cornflakes (or bit of both), put a tea towel over it, get the kids to bash the tea towel with a pot or rolling pin, add salt and pepper or seasoning of choice, add sliced chicken breast, shake the bag, (no egg for binding necessary) then into preheated oven for 20 minutes, best chicken nuggets ever. Its all about the bashing.

Call to your local Oxfam or similar charity shop and get a collection of old shirts/dresses/jackets, handbags shoes hats etc., etc., for a dressing-up box.

Old Curtains make good capes (as do long flowing skirts - split one of the seams) and net curtains stand in nicely for wedding dresses.

Empty the powder filling out of a (clean) disposable nappy; Explain the unusual properties of the powder. Put it on a plate; see how much water they can pour into it before it won't take any more. Set up two plates and have a competition. You can knock an hour out of this.

My 3 year old daughter loves dusting. Can't wait until she's 4, so I can send her up chimneys.

Set up a malasian style sweat-shop, say stitching counterfeit purses and wallets. Their little hands are excellent for the fine stitching, they get to learn a trade, and you get the little free-loaders to pay the mortgage!

Set up a malasian style sweat-shop, say stitching counterfeit purses and wallets. Their little hands are excellent for the fine stitching, they get to learn a trade, and you get the little free-loaders to pay the mortgage!

Thats better than my idea of covering the kids in velcro and sticking them safely to the ceiling while you go to the pub

My two used to love to stand (one at a time) on top of the clothes in one of those strong plastic linen baskets that were in use some years back. Would carefully bounce them down the stairs, step by step while they sang their favourite song of the moment.

Heard a story some years back about a few brothers dive bombing down the stairs in a plastic baby bath. Luckily enough they didn't go through the pane of glass beside the hall door before mother discovered their dangerous game