Full-Time Mothers: Does this mean that women who work are only part-time mothers?

DeeFox

I hate when women describe themselves as being a "full-time mother". Does this mean that women who work are only part-time mothers?

Re: Full-Time Mothers

Basically yes

If you work 8 hours a day and somebody else is effectively rearing your child(ren) during the day then how can you describe yourself as a full-time mother (or father for that matter)?

Basically yes

If you work 8 hours a day and somebody else is effectively rearing your child(ren) during the day then how can you describe yourself as a full-time mother (or father for that matter)?

So when you children start school you become a part-time parent?

It's just semantics though

What should women who stay at home describe themselves as?

Does "working mother" imply that those who stay at home don't work?!!!!!

It's just semantics though

What should women who stay at home describe themselves as?

Does "working mother" imply that those who stay at home don't work?!!!!!

Why does a label have to be attached?

It doesn't but the labels are already out there and lots of people like to have a "label" when asked what they do on a day-to-day basis.

eg - milk monitor etc etc

I hate when women describe themselves as being a "full-time mother". Does this mean that women who work are only part-time mothers?

Does that not simply imply that all their time is devoted to rearing their children as opposed to those who have an occupation outside the home which requires them to be absent from their children whose time is divided?

Take it from me, when you are a mother, you have guilt either way. Home or not it's never enough. Children and motherhood/fatherhood equals guilt regardless of how much you do / how perfect you are / how absent or otherwise you are. It also equals so much of the good stuff, I can't quantify.

A.

What about old fashioned 'home maker'?

I can't wait till I grow up and become a part time mother! Although if I work full time and am a part time mother where is the 'me' time? Are there any creches out there that keep kids overnight? And if I'm a part time mother and he's a part time father, combined do we count as one full parent?

Eeeuwww!

I just immediately think of Doris Day-like compliant grinning freaks with gingham aprons.

What!! Is the 50s stepford wife type not what all men dream of? (hurriedly removes gingham apron, deflates bazooka pointy boobs, empties oven of delicious home made bread and other goodies and tousles hair out of perfect coiffed arrangement.......)

Basically yes

Children at school 9 to 3, doing homework/ having snacks/ playing 3 to 6; at home or at sport training for the next 15 hours. I would hardly describe them as being being "reared" by somebody else when it's really less than 3 hours a day.

I would much prefer a child to be in after-school care than being dragged to shops, supermarkets and appointments (hairdresser, queuing for car tax, yadda yadda).

I would much prefer a child to be in after-school care than being dragged to shops, supermarkets and appointments (hairdresser, queuing for car tax, yadda yadda).

So you think that parents who aren't working should still put their children into a non-educational child-minders /creche instead of spending their days with their parents?

Why have children at all in that case?

I miss my 2 children every day while at work and can't wait to get home to see them every evening. My wife is currently on maternity leave and I envy her the time that she gets to spend with them during the day (although I'm sure she envies me the time at work sometimes!).

Last year I was on a 4-day week (recession etc etc) and loved the day off with my son and often took 2 half days instead so I could go to work while he was at Montessori and then have 2 afternoons with him instead of just the one.

My son (age 5) would far prefer a full day with me being "dragged" around places (B&Q, barbers, supermarket etc) than a 2-hour trip to cinema and McDonalds and then being stuck in a childminders all day.

In terms of parental time and children, it's quantity not quality that children prefer.

I was wondering how long it would take for the thread to turn defensive.
It always does, back to the guilt thing described so well above by ali.

Some families want one of the parents to be at home with the kids, some don't,
some mothers would love to be at home with their kids and can't afford it, some
mothers would love a job and don't have one.

If you have a set-up that you enjoy and is working for you and your family, be thankful.