Full car service and brakes

T

Techmad

I recently had my Volkswagan serviced by the Volkswagan dealer and was not happy about a number of things.This morning i had the NCT done and noticed that the tiewraps which i fitted had not been removed( new ones would have had to be fitted).
Can anyone advise if its possible to do a full sevive on a Volkswagan Polo and not remove the wheels. Many Thanks.

If the brakes were done no.

Each service should include an inspection to make sure things are ok. All wheels off at each service regardless, Thats the way mu mate does it, to check brakes busshes anything in the wheel arches.

Are you sure they are not new ones?

as its a main dealer service you had and probably paid good money for i would be inclined to ask what was involved and try to determine if the are letting on they took the wheels off etc, however, i would also imagine that with the car on a lift brakes on front wheels only can be checked with out wheel removel, also brake lines, hoses and bushings can also be checked from under neath while on a lift

Frank , no the brakes were not done,I am certain that the two back wheels and one front were not removed, the other front wheel did have the tiewrap removed .The tiewraps were very dirty and the same type as the ones which i fitted, so i am very sure they were not fitted during the service.Especially as this was a FULL service i would expect the brakes and other parts would be at least be visually inspected.The front brakes were replaced last year at 30K miles but the back have not been changed yet (36K now).
clonboy , yes i paid 450 euro ,they fitted spark plugs and changed the oil and filter ( i hope ) , I expect this is pricey but i hoped i could rely on a quality service. Last year the same dealer done the service and i was very happy , but this time there were no signs of service ,not even fresh grease on hinges. I will probably never bring the car back but am disapointed as i taught i could rely on them.
Thank you both for your input.

I will probably never bring the car back but am disapointed as i taught i could rely on them.

Go back and ask them for a full breakdown of what work they actually did.

maybe there's a reason they didn;t do the brakes.

At the very least they should be aware of why you don't intend going back there. It might make them realise they're losing customers at a time when they're falling over themselves to get new ones in!

I would have hoped that for €450 they at least supplied OP with a detailed invoice - parts used, labour hours, etc.

absolutely!

I was just wondering if he had been billed for work not done.

You'd expect them to list every piece of work carried out, even the visual checks.

i bet you will find, there is an environmental charge, charge for disposing of oil, and filter, charge for the plastic seat cover etc etc, screen was was probably added and charged nicely for too, that money is crazy, but i am sure they will talk their way out of it with blah blah and that mileage does not require xy and z removed or checked

Always think dealer FSH is a bit of a sham here, trainee from FAS doing a half ass job.

with ramps and air guns All wheels off takes minutes.

Much prefer a good indepedant or a competant DIY.

My mayes place does a wash and hoover as well as a nice touch, small thing but most main dealers won't do that.

inclined to agree with Frank re main dealer FSH. I had 2004 Passat from new, same main dealer serviced all the way. I was on a trip in the UK and got a grinding noise (metal on metal type noise) from the front under braking... I thought what the hell can that be.... car had 42000 on it, just back from the 40000 service.

So I figured it must be a stone or something wedged between pad and disc, I mean, it can't be worn pads, the car is just back from service. I know, I'll find an industrial estate, reverse at speed and brake heavily and that should dislodge it.

Needless to say my efforts were in vain and on closer inspection I see that the pads are right down (I was able to see with the wheels on through the alloys) also my discs are nicely grooved from the efforts in the industrial estate.

Brake fitting outlet insisted that they would not do the job without replacing the discs, fair enough. £300 sterling.

I call the dealer in the WESTERN side of the country and spoke to service manager who investigated and said that mechanic had "made a call" on the condition of the pads that they would last till next service. I dropped in discs and pads at next service to show them..... they got put down service reception desk and that was the last I heard about that particular episode.

So the moral of my story is that if you can find a good independent mechanic that charges reasonable rates and does an honest job then treat him/her well and give them the business. They are out there. I do not beleive that Main Dealer FSH is worth the cost in terms of increased resale value.

You don't need to remove wheels to check the condition of brake pads and discs, can be done from the inside of the wheel with an inspection mirror.

Back