Fuel Shortages - Paranoia ?

Munsterbhoy

I have noticed for the last number of months that a number of garages that I use to fill up have had between 25% - 50% of the pumps almost constantly "out of service". I originally thought this had to do with dirty storage tanks but the trend is definitely on the increase. This morning I call into a local petrol station to find out they have run out of fuel and are awaiting a delivery. This could be a one off occurrance due to any number of reasons, but coupled with the large reduction in petrol stations countrywide, could this be symptomatic of one or both of (a) a shortage of getting the required amount of fuel into the country; or (b) an increasing difficulty in keeping a reduced niumber of stations supplied with sufficient fuel for the demand. I live in Limerick and wonder if there is any similar experience around the country ?

they are probably delaying on ordering petrol as the price is so high. maybe they thought if they held off a day or two then they would get it a little cheaper. oil tankers are doing this at the moment, they hold the oil on the high seas hoping to see the price pop higher, if it does then they deliver at that price.

Interesting point Jimbob, but if they have to buy at higher prices, the stations just put their prices up by a few cents per litre overnight. It might make sense that there is an increasing trend in keeping less stock, just in case the price heads south and stations end up with a large volume of stock bought at too high a price. Doesn't make it any easier for Joe average filling up his Reliant Regal though !

Back