Fuel Consumption

thespecialon

Does any1 have a opionion on which of the following cases you actually use more fuel-

a) 1hour driving -stop start- like the regular dublin commute -
b) 1hour driving - uninterrupted pretty much at around 55MPH

maybe a stupid question!

yep....crawling traffic will definitly use more petrol than free flow..

50mph would be most fuel efficient..above that the mpg will go down

I would have said a) aswell but.....it really depends on how many K's you travelled in that one hour of a commute.

Definitely a)
City driving is worst - lots of gear changing, braking, accellerating etc,
Steady driving in top gear is most fuel efficient,
Combined (mixture of both like the commute) will be inbetween

A study of any technical data for new cars will give figures for fuel economy, expressed as litres used per 100km travelled. The figures given relate to urban, extra urban and combined usage. "Extra urban" drving is without doubt the most fuel efficient...

I would think that (b) is the correct answer. There is no doubt that it is more fuel efficient when compared to (a), however you would use more fuel, which is what the OP asked.

I am pretty sure that (b) is correct, as the OP is considering the amount of fuel used per hour. If the same question was asked per unit distance (e.g. per 100 km), (a) would be of course be correct for the reasons outline in the above posts.

So the answer is : Can not say whether it is a) or b) without knowing the k's travelled in the one hour start/stop commute.

in most circumstances, B would definitly more fuel efficient providing A & B are same distance

A and B cant be the same distance, as they are the same time, and A
is stop / start and B is continuous, so the distance travelled must be more.

Fuel usage is measured in mpg, so you might use the same amount of fuel
in A nd B but you would get further in B.

Last edited:
A and B cant be the same distance, as they are the same time, and A
is stop / start and B is continuous, so the distance travelled must be more.
Not true, the stop / start could be reaching high speeds e.g. 100mph than the continuous driving at 55mph so could possibly cover the same distance in the same time

True in theory, but the OP used the phrase " stop / start like a regular Dublin commute". I'm yet to see a Dublin commute where you could get the car up to 100mph on a regular basis.