Fuel consumption since service

errigal

I got my 06 car serviced 2 weeks ago - full service and 3 new tyres.

Since then I have seen my fuel consumption significantly increase - where I would normally get 600km easily on a full tank, now I'm getting about 400-450km for similar journeys

Should I wait for a few more weeks to see if it improves or contact the garage - whats the most likely explanation?

Any problem with your exhaust? I remember damaging an exhaust many years ago and it doubled fuel consumption.

Nothing obvious wrong with the exhaust

New tyres are not the same, but are brand new dunlops compared to the pretty bald ones that were on it before (cant remember the make) - I was expecting better performance rather than significantly poorer based on the fact they were new ones.

I would call back into the garage and ask for some advise, services should improve fuel effeciency not make it worse.

What's the make and model of the car? I assume at 600kms / tank its a petrol engine.

stating the obvious here but i assume your journeys are the same as previously?

ie, you're not doing more short/heavy traffic journeys?

apologies again for asking the obvious.

Make sure the tyres are all pumped up, I noticed even one soft tyre made a huge difference.

06 Focus 1.4L Petrol

Journeys since service would be typical to what were done before. Nothing different or unusual.

Will check tyre pressure tommorrow

Thanks for replies.

I believe it may be a dodgey oxygen or air-flow sensor. It is not an unusual problem on 05/06 Ford 1.4 petrol engines. Go back to where you had it serviced and complain. It should have been checked.

Yup, possibly a faulty AFM which is making the car run rich. Take to a garage and get them to plug the car in and check the lambda/integrated lambda readings.

Back