Fuel consumption query

Daddy Ireland

I replaced a 2016 car recently with a new 2019 model.

I ran up 100k kms in the 2016 car and the average fuel consumption showing on the info display was 4.5 litres/100kms.

The same diesel engine in both.

The new car has 1000 kms done but the display is showing an Eco figure of 6.

Has something changed in that fuel consumption is now showing some other way as how could it be 6 now versus 4.5.

Perhaps some car expert can explain.

Fuel consumption is affected by a large number of variables - and I would consider a comparison based on 100km is far too short a distance to say anything definitive about average fuel consumption

Very cold weather, headwinds, sidewinds, using the heater, A/C, blower, rear window heater, lights, tyre pressures and lots of other factors can influence fuel consumption, including the quality of the fuel. Who calibrated the electronic fuel consumption displays and certified them as accurate or at least equally inaccurate!

IME there is only one way to measure actual fuel consumption accurately.

1. Read the odometer,
  2. Fill the fuel tank to the brim (to the brim, not until the pump cuts out because different pumps may cut out at different levels)
  3. Drive around going about you regular buisness until you need to refill the tank
  4. Read the odometer
  5. Fill the fuel tank to the brim again
  6. Do the sums.

There is no need to do the brimming thing again. Just remember to record the mileage and the quantity of fuel filled at each top up. I write the mileage on the fuel receipt and I always ask for a receipt showing litres of fuel purchased. ( "are ya claining VAT?", "but ya have the credit card receipt" )

Keep track of your various calculations in a spread-sheet, aiming for an overall number. The bigger the sample you take the more likely you are to have a decent overall number. In Formula 1 they don't dispense litres of fuel, they dispense kilos. Like with other volatile fluids, changes in temperature effect the volume of fuel. This applies to petrol more then diesel (or red biddy!) but the capacity of a tank is not fixed.

That lad of the Boyles was quare handy I tell ya, quare handy!

HTH

p.s. I can suggest fuel saving measures but most prople probably won't like them

Last edited:
I've always been told diesel needs time to settle in, as the mileage rises the mpg improves, seems logical, also try it again with a warm engine.

Very cold weather, headwinds, sidewinds, using the heater, A/C, blower, rear window heater, lights, tyre pressures and lots of other factors can influence fuel consumption, including the quality of the fuel. Who calibrated the electronic fuel consumption displays and certified them as accurate or at least equally inaccurate!

IME there is only one way to measure actual fuel consumption accurately.

1. Read the odometer,
  2. Fill the fuel tank to the brim (to the brim, not until the pump cuts out because different pumps may cut out at different levels)
  3. Drive around going about you regular buisness until you need to refill the tank
  4. Read the odometer
  5. Fill the fuel tank to the brim again
  6. Do the sums.

There is no need to do the brimming thing again. Just remember to record the mileage and the quantity of fuel filled at each top up. I write the mileage on the fuel receipt and I always ask for a receipt showing litres of fuel purchased. ( "are ya claining VAT?", "but ya have the credit card receipt" )

Keep track of your various calculations in a spread-sheet, aiming for an overall number. The bigger the sample you take the more likely you are to have a decent overall number. In Formula 1 they don't dispense litres of fuel, they dispense kilos. Like with other volatile fluids, changes in temperature effect the volume of fuel. This applies to petrol more then diesel (or red biddy!) but the capacity of a tank is not fixed.

That lad of the Boyles was quare handy I tell ya, quare handy!

HTH

p.s. I can suggest fuel saving measures but most prople probably won't like them

You'd benefit from a Circle K fuel card, 4c off a litre and can track your fuel usage/cost/mileage online. The downside is you have to just fill up in Circle K filling stations, but with the 4c off it nearly always works out cheapest.

Is that 4c off a litre if you use their fuel card or that by using their fuel you can save up to 4c a litre compared to a different brand of fuel ??

Is that 4c off a litre if you use their fuel card or that by using their fuel you can save up to 4c a litre compared to a different brand of fuel ??

I had looked into that before when it was Topaz, and they did offer a discount on fuel at the time, but the garages near me were consistently more expensive that the alternatives, so I didn't bother. No mention anywhere now in their literature of any discount on fuel purchases, they suggest you will save money through administration costs as the card is now aimed at business users. They suggest a minimum usage applies, but don't say what that is.

Back