Fuel consumption better in 318 or c180?

redracer

Hi everyone

I'm looking at getting either a bmw 318 or merc c180 (1.8l), year hopefully 1998 one but maybe 1996. I was wondering which would have a better fuel consumption (driving conservatively) around country roads and motorways. Would there be a difference in the "sport" version of the c180 or is it just cosmetic?

If anyone has an opinion on which would be more reliable, or if there's anything I should be looking out for, I'd welcome that too.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have a look at the used car guides on

They will give you a good idea as to what to expect from an old beemer or merc.

Here is an article on the 3 series.

[broken link removed]

They sum up by saying the 3 series is not as reliable as you would think......

Mind you I think the C class also has it's share of problems circa 1996

Thanks very much Frank

That Usedcar site looks really helpful with the items to look out for and tests to do. (I'm just trying to complete my registration). I'm not filled with confidence from research so far on either car. I'll do some more searches on that site for other cars.

I'm looking for something comfortable with a bit of poke when needed but due to financial restrictions I'm also looking for reliability/decent petrol consumption and can only go as high as 1.8l. (I know - I want it all ha but does it exist?) Can anyone suggest another other car that would fit? I don't have any experience with volvo/audi/saab etc.

Thanks