FTB in Cork City. Advice on where to buy required

kennyFTB

Hey there,
Hope I have put this in the right forum. Have recently been at a mortgage broker and will get up to 300k approval for mortgage. I want to buy in and around Cork city i.e. 45min walk or realistic taxi distance. My job isn't secure at the moment, is for about the next two years but not sure after that. However am 27 and have decided that cork, where I am from is where I want to live. I have a few criteria I would like to point out. Any place I buy would need a parking space, 1 or preferably 2 rooms to rent out if needs be. Not a great fan of renovation so it would have to be minimal if there is any to be done. A bit of a garden would be nice but not essential at all. If anyone can offer any help at all that would be great.

I have considered the meadows in hollyhill as I am from around there originally and while I feel that the house would be great If you were completely secure and planned to stay there for a long time I am not sure If it would be so great If I needed to rent out rooms so any advice on that would also be appreciated.

Douglas/Grange is a popular spot for renting out rooms, due to the good social scene in douglas village; so is Wilton due to the hospital/colleges.

have a look at the ballinlough area which is halfway between douglas and town, houses would be about the 300k mark and there are some bargains to be had in the area.

not very many houses around 300k in ballinlough (2 on daft) and if they are they need a ton of work.You could look at apartments which would be rentable and price might be negotiable. Turners cross is always rentable -there were a few houses in capwell road for sale with parking and garden could be worth a look

If you can overlook the traditional snobbery about buying Southside over Northside in Cork, Blackpool on the Northside is well worth considering. It is 10 minutes walk from the city, property is relatively inexpensive compared to southside locations and is being redeveloped at a remarkable rate. Blackpool shopping centre is nearly as good in my opinion as Mahon point. I grew up there and the changes in the area are immense in the last 5 years.

ya ur rite bleary turners cross is where i bought and has a v strong rental market, saw a bargain in ballinlough a few weeks back but it must have been snapped up. the capweel rd has a few houses for sale and it is a v nice area with shops, schools, town and the south link all v close.

Thanks for the replies,
I'm by no means a snob when it comes to the northside, am from there myself and def agree with what has been said about blackpool and regeneration etc. Will keep an eye out in Turners cross as well.

Hey there,
Hope I have put this in the right forum. Have recently been at a mortgage broker and will get up to 300k approval for mortgage. I want to buy in and around Cork city i.e. 45min walk or realistic taxi distance. My job isn't secure at the moment, is for about the next two years but not sure after that. However am 27 and have decided that cork, where I am from is where I want to live. I have a few criteria I would like to point out. Any place I buy would need a parking space, 1 or preferably 2 rooms to rent out if needs be. Not a great fan of renovation so it would have to be minimal if there is any to be done. A bit of a garden would be nice but not essential at all. If anyone can offer any help at all that would be great.

I have considered the meadows in hollyhill as I am from around there originally and while I feel that the house would be great If you were completely secure and planned to stay there for a long time I am not sure If it would be so great If I needed to rent out rooms so any advice on that would also be appreciated.

why not wait the two years till you know what your income situation will be.
keep saving for the two years you'll get a better mortgage.
and I'd expect house prices could well be better value then too.

then you can somethin that is a bit closer than 45 min walk!

PS if you do want to go ahead i would recommend turners cross and towards the friars walk, tower street area - the houses are not as expensive there and closer than 45 min walk (but old!).

Again,thanks for comments. To be honest the house buying thing is a personal thing. Sharing driving me slowly insane and need to get out on my own I think. Of course Imay have to rent to people in the future but have already taken that into account. As regards house prices etc I am not going to go into it too much due to the rules here and am not inviting discussion on it, just feel now is as good a time as any to be buying, buyers market etc. General concencus I am gettting is Turners cross if southside or blackpool if northside so at least I have something to go on now.

Kenny - did you end up buying afterwards? I was in much the same position as yourself, but decided not to buy for a while.

Hey,
Didnt end up buying after all and am quite happy that I didn't. I now have a bigger deposit and more options. As they say, biggest financial purchase of your life so am taking it very carefully. Have also been on affordable housing left for quite a while nowso hoping something might come through there.

Hey,
Didnt end up buying after all and am quite happy that I didn't. I now have a bigger deposit and more options. As they say, biggest financial purchase of your life so am taking it very carefully. Have also been on affordable housing left for quite a while nowso hoping something might come through there.

If you want to rent out rooms go for something near the city centre it will always rent even in the bit of a downturn that is going on. Try up around Shandon St, parking etc. Find someone that needs to sell and put in an offer, you should have a few quid spare then to do it up and unless it is in really bad structural condition don't be afraid of that!

have you thought about the out of town end of blarney st. close to town, close to hollyhill but some decent areas - very good for rental. there are a few houses well under the 300,000 around there or are you going to stay on the fence for another while and see what happens

have you thought about the out of town end of blarney st. close to town, close to hollyhill but some decent areas - very good for rental. there are a few houses well under the 300,000 around there or are you going to stay on the fence for another while and see what happens
Not sure I would agree unfortunately. I agree that Blackpool looks good right now however how about hightide :D. I pass the estate that was built just next to the brewery on occasion (ok smell may be annoying- personally it would not bother me) and it looks great and you could walk to the city centre in under 10 min i would say. It could be a canny purchase - who knows.

Back